This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

When you were an adolescent were you ever given a diary or journal? Probably so. If not, it’s fine. I can recall being presented with my first actual diary in elementary school. Surprisingly, I actually used it for the purpose in which it is for.

A journal is a composed record of one’s thoughts, feelings, observations, memories, and anything else the writer wishes to list. Think of it as a journey on paper. It is a way to channel all of those listed components into a healthy and creative outcome. 

There are no actual guidelines for journaling. It’s the ideal example of freedom of expression. The writing alone is a form of creative artwork: presenting uniqueness, captivating the mind, evoking imagery and thought, triggering emotion(s), and possessing underlying meaning.

Journaling can be an outlet as well as a way to measure one’s personal growth over time. You can elaborate on the good and not-so-good times, whichever you choose. My diary became my safe haven during times that I faced tribulations. I could write exactly how I felt without feelings of vulnerability, pressure, or judgment. I can attest that journaling is especially helpful for those battling anxiety and depression. Simply writing whatever thought or feeling down onto paper seemed to help. Then after pouring out yourself, you cannot help but reread your composition then analyze it. As a result, various realizations surface and growth commences. Additionally, journaling contributes to one developing a better understanding of themselves. During the writing process, you are in a state of deep-thought; searching your heart and mind for the exact words to express how you feel in order to write them down.

I like to view journaling as a written masterpiece. It is imperfect, typically spontaneous, and unique. It’s an expressive portrayal of the brave artist (writer) who is behind the scenes.

Ciara Childs

Georgia Southern '23

Ciara Childs, CPhT is a Political Science undergraduate student at Georgia Southern University. She is a native of Albany, Georgia. Her hobbies include traveling, learning, writing, cooking, and meditating. Ciara's philosophy of life would be best described by Maya Angelou's quote "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.