This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Many of us have heard the term introversion and extroversion and may have been asked which we relate to most. Introversion and extroversion are personality theories that were popularized by psychologist, Carl Jung. People who are introverted prefer internal stimulation. They may be more reserved and solitary. They may feel drained after being around people and can regain their energy by spending time alone. Whereas, people who are extroverted gain energy by spending time with people. They tend to be more outgoing and talkative. There are stigmas to introversion and extroversion. Some think that introverts are shy, have social anxiety, or do not like people. This can’t be further from the truth. There is a difference between being an introvert and being shy or having social anxiety. Shyness is more of a fear of being judged by others and social anxiety is a disorder with an overwhelming fear of being embarrassed in front of others. As for extroverts, some people believe society prefers them over introverts. Some believe that extroverts make the best leaders and are the most fun to be around, but introverts can be excellent leaders and fun company as well. Also, some tend to think that extroverts are high maintenance, superficial, and aren’t allowed to feel any other emotion other than happiness. However, different behaviors depend on different people and everyone is capable of behaving a certain way.

But have you ever been in the position where you don’t think you are either an extrovert are an introvert? Well, that simply means that you could be an ambivert. An ambivert is someone who has qualities of both an introvert and an extrovert. When people talk about introversion and extroversion, they talk about it in a way where you have to label yourself as one or the other. However, introversion and extroversion are a spectrum, and no one is 100% one or the other. You may know an introvert who has many friends or work with groups of people such as teachers. You may also know an extrovert who isn’t a very good public speaker, but can talk a lot in other social settings. Even if you are an ambivert, you may still lean more towards either introversion or extroversion on the spectrum. Carl Jung never used the term “ambivert” but he did believe that some people may fall in the middle of introversion and extroversion.

How to recognize that you’re an ambivert

1. You don’t have a preference of working in a group or working alone
  2. If you spend too much time alone, you may get bored and want to be around people.
  3. You can enjoy small talk and a meaningful conversation
  4. Sometimes you’re quiet and other times you’re talkative
  5. You like meeting new people, but still prefer being around close friend

Benefits of being an ambivert

1. You’re a good speaker and a good listener
  2. You’re independent
  3. You’re adaptable
  4. You play it safe and take risks
  5. You make a great leader

Khiyah G

Georgia Southern '19

My name is Khiyah Griffin and I am currently a junior at Georgia Southern University majoring in Journalism.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.