Agenda Hacking: 4 Tips for Successful Scheduling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Here we are, back in school, with more syllabi than our folders can keep up with. Due dates looming over us and weighing us with the burden of anxiety and–my personal favorite–procrastination. A year into college was when I knew that jotting assignments down on a sheet of paper is no longer cutting it. If you are anything like me, the college load will overwhelm you by the third week. Sophomore year, I finally decided to use an agenda and while there were many trials and errors, I’m finally getting the hang of it. So here are four tips for successful agenda keeping:

1. Daily, Weekly, Monthly Agendas

Finding the right agenda is fundamental to good agenda keeping. You must find the right agenda that matches your needs. Daily and weekly agendas are great if you have trouble focusing on what needs to be done in a short period of time. Most monthly agendas will have a weekly schedule as well, allowing you to view important assignments in a month view while keeping track of weekly and daily assignments. 

1. Color Code

While not completely essential, color coding is a great way to keep a concise and neat agenda. My agenda is color-coded by each class I have, allowing me to quickly view what needs to be done. Color code however you see fit: school organizations, busy/free days, etc.

1. Set Realistic Goals

You may want to try and take on the world during the week, but it’s imperative that you don’t overwhelm yourself with too much work that you’ll have to push off. Try to keep the habit of making realistic goals that can be done in your timeline. Remember: when we procrastinate, we are anxious about what needs to be done. 

1. Be Consistent

To make this work you have to be consistent! Missing a day on your agenda is not horrible but it can cause an avalanche effect of a bad habit. 

Good luck!

Alexis Badger

Georgia Southern '22

Hello everyone! My name is Alexis Badger and I am currently a senior at Georgia Southern University studying Writing & Linguistics with a minor in Multimedia Journalism. During my free time, I enjoy reading and posting on my reading blog (IG: @readwith.lex). After graduation, I hope to work on publishing my own work.
Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata