This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Some movies leave us confused, some movies leave us in deep thought, but the best movies leave us with a few unanswered questions. Ok, hold on let me explain….

I love when movies leave us answered questions along with some new questions. This leaves room for sequels and in some special cases prequels. Everyone knows that a sequel is supposed to “follow-up” on the theme/storyline of the previous film. It’s a lot easier to write for a sequel because you can literally come up with endless ideas, some that may not even make sense. For instance, Fast and Furious. I mean, isn’t that franchise on its TENTH movie? That’s almost ridiculous.

However, writing for a prequel is a LOT different. For those who aren’t so sure, a prequel is the exact opposite of a sequel. In order for a prequel to work it has to be A) wanted and it has to B) make sense. Otherwise, it just wouldn’t work and it would probably annoy a lot of fans. A prequel is 10x harder to make because it has to follow these unwritten bylaws of film and it’s got to connect with a movie that’s already been created.

Example of a great prequel? Paranormal Activity 3.

R.I.P Dennis and Julie :(

Example of a not so great prequel? Pan.

I’m really sorry but…. No one asked for this.

Here are 8 movies that I think deserve a prequel:

1) Bright

I absolutely LOVED this movie! Will Smith stole the show (as always) but the storyline was the thing that generated well-deserved buzz. There are rumors that there’s a sequel in the works, but I would argue that there needs to be a prequel made. Yeah, you could say the fact that the audience was just thrown into the movie’s world with barely any background information is the beauty of it all. However, I’m sure it would be interesting to explore a storyline about life prior to the obvious uneasy peace between the humans and mythical creatures. 

2) Girl’s Trip

Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to see a story about how the “Flossy Posse” joined forces to save all of humanity from boring movies everywhere? Ok no but seriously, the posse in COLLEGE? Great idea. 

3) GrownupsI’m sorry but this is a movie that’ll never get old to me. The kids of the main characters give the movie a little extra flair but I definitely would mind getting to know the characters before they reached their midlife crisis. 

4) The IncrediblesA storyline about Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl saving the world together before the Supers Relocation Program? I give it 5 stars already.

5) The Giver

I don’t know about you, but I’m definitely down for seeing a movie about the construction of the so-called “utopian” society. 

6) The Matrix

The Matrix is arguably one of the best movies from the 90s but one thing really, really bugs me. THE war that created the entire matrix?? We get very little details throughout the movie but that’s just not good enough. Matrix fans everywhere deserve a movie about the war between humans and machines that started the whole thing. I’m getting frustrated just thinking about the research I had to do after watching the movie for the 4th time. 

7) Baby Driver

I have many questions that need to be answered. We can start the obvious ones like why is his name Baby, who is his roommate (just found out he’s actually his foster father, okay well can that be explained?), how did he learn to become a getaway driver, etc. There’s a lot of “hows” and “why” I would love to be answered. The movie was great, but why is there some much I don’t know about the main character? 

8) Harry Potter

Alright, I know that Harry Potter is one of the oldest franchises out there, but I can’t let this go. Imagine there being a movie about Harry Potter’s father while he was a student at Hogwarts and all of his interactions with the adults who become a part of Harry’s life. That would make my inner child happy because it’s kind of hard trying to enjoy a movie and take notes at the same time. 

Do you agree or disagree? Let us know!

Current senior at the Georgia Southern University. I love music (mostly 90's), and I love movies (mostly horror). In my spare time, I like to pretend I know how to dance or I'll watch post production videos on youtube :)
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.