7 Things Wrong with Student Organizations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.
There are many wonders to being in a student organization.  Some student orgs are great resume enhancers, connection builders, and just fun.  But mostly ALL student organizations have their flaws and are nightmares for some. Here’s 7 things that are wrong with student organizations.

1) Poor Communication

Poor communication is a big problem with many student organizations.  When members don’t know how to communicate with others many issues can arise.  This is partly because of the differences in personalities.  

2) Poor Leadership
Let’s be honest, not everyone should be a leader some people have poor people skills, tend to be controlling, knit picky, or are just too passive or aggressive to lead others.  A common problem for many organizations is the case of “too many chiefs and not enough Indians.” In other words, there is ambiguity on who is actually running what and there are members overstepping the boundaries of their positions.   Personality testimg and interviewing is highly beneficial when picking potential executive board members because sometimes a nice speech can be misleading when voting for new executive members. 

3) Too many friends in one organization
Another problem many student organizations encounter is hoarding friends on the executive board.   Having too many friends on an executive board can cause destruction to an organization.  Like a job, student organizations require levels of professionalism.  This can be lost when friends mistake business for pleasure.   Student organizations are just like jobs, except you don’t get paid but if money was involved money and friends are a bad combination.  Common issues with too many friends in an organization include poor punctuality, excuses, favoritism, gossip, separation, and a lack of professionalism.  Some friends may not understand when it is time to play and time to work eventually this becomes problematic.

4) Dating someone on the Executive board
Basically, messing with someone on the executive board is like a no go.  It’s the easiest way to have drama and for everyone to be in your business.  Also, it’s a great way to lose a relationship and now you’re stuck in an org with that person. Sure, sometimes it works out but in many cases it does not.  Jealousy, can become a big issue when dating someone on your executive board because you may feel like they should be defending you at all times.  Some people have a hard time separating their business relationship from their personal and sexual relationships.  This lack of being able to separate can cause serious tension and awkwardness in student organizations. Because not only does everyone else see you but you have to deal with each other when you may need space and deal with each other later personally.  

5) Constitutions
Many members don’t even read their organization constitution.  As a member, you are closing yourself off to fully understanding your organization and its purpose without reading it. 

6) Unfair Treatment
Many student organization members may suffer discomfort at the hands of other members at any given time. Hence the reason for higher and lower retention rates of some organizations.  If you are feeling uncomfortable and feel like you are being treated unfairly in your organization, it is best to contact your advisor, the Office of Student Activities, Greek Life (for Greeks obviously) and in extreme cases the Dean of Students Office.

7) Drama
Drama, is a reoccurring issue for the destruction of student organizations.  Sure, it is great to meet friends in student organizations but these connections can become harmful once cliques begin to form especially if people were friends with others before certain cliques were established.  Jealousy, deception, rumors, and all types of messiness can arise from drama in a student organization.   If it gets out of control organizations can unravel.

** Remember, if you don’t like the organization you’re in you can always leave.  There are plenty of organizations on campus that may better suit your needs OR if you’re feeling up to it you can create your own organization.  Don’t feel like you’re trapped or obliged to commit to certain organizations, especially if they start to affect your well-being.  Get out and find the best one for you. 
Bianca Yarde

Georgia Southern

Bianca is a student at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA, studying Spanish and Psychology. A Native New Yorker, she prides herself on her “tell it like it is,” personality. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, watching gangster and classic movies, and volunteering. Her mission in life is to help others. After graduation, she plans to become a teacher and open a bakery.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.