Your (Mistake-Proof) Guide to Going Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

This past weekend I made a mistake. No, not that kind of mistake (get your heads out of
the gutters), but a fashion mistake. I wore items of clothing that I knew could easily be
ruined, but at the moment decided to go with it. Never have I regretted that decision
more in my life, as I look down at my ruined shoes. My top was fixable, all it needed was
a quick spin in the laundry and it was good to go. The shoes, not so much. I know
suede is a risky choice, but I figured I’d be fine… until later on at one point of the night, I
felt a bump against my shoulder and a drink was spilled across my shoulder, jeans and
my shoes. I couldn’t see the damage at the time, but there are droplets, permanent
droplets, all over my shoes. I plan on breaking out a toothbrush and trying to brush out
the marks, but it’s most likely too late at this point. Anyways, the point of this article is to
give some tips on going out, but fashion/beauty/hair edition.
photo courtesy of the beauty department

Do something with your hair, but don’t spend too much time on it, because by the end of
the night it could look like it did before you did it. My favorite thing to do is a high pony or
wavy, full hair. I wish I could do the whole beach wave look, but my hair is too thick, so
wavy, voluminous hair it is. On one of my favorite sites, the beauty department, has a

great hair tutorial up on 20-minute waves. I already went to CVS and am trying it out as
soon as I get the chance. http://thebeautydepartment.com…
with-sponge-rollers/

photo courtesy of glamour’s beauty department

Keep your makeup simple, but focus on one feature. I know, I know, magazines are
always telling you this, but there’s a reason they do… because it’s true. I used to always
love focusing on the eyes, but recently I’ve been experimenting with lip colors, and I
love it. If you want to focus on the eyes, try lining them in black or brown, and smudging
a coordinating color around your lashes. Finish off with mascara and you have an easy
smokey eye! If you want to focus on lips, rock it like Rihanna. Go for a flesh toned
eyeshadow, a small swipe of eyeliner(preferably with a small flick), fluttery lashes, and
then a “BAM” lip. I love bright pinks, berries and cherry reds. For drugstore options, try

out Covergirl/Revlon lipstick and from Sephora, Tarte Matte lipstains. If you want the
color to last longer, apply one coat, blot with a tissue, and then apply another.

For clothes, wear something you’ll be okay with getting a bit roughed up, but still
capable of being fixed. That gorgeous, slightly expensive, definitely delicate top? Yeah,
that’s a no-go. My favorite thing to do is take a basic dress/jeans and a cute top, and
add accessories, or in my case, gold hoops. My favorite pair of booties to wear out are
from H&M, and black heels: Kardashians for Sears. No joke. I don’t want to ruin my
nicer clothes, so sometimes it’s good to look outside the box. I swear it’s worth it!

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.