This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Between studying for midterms and trying to maintain a social life, it can be hard to find some spare time to read the news and catch up on the latest happenings around the world.  We completely understand this here at Her Campus, so to make your life a little easier and ensure that you’re not the one always asking “Wait, what happened?” we’ve got you covered with our weekly news roundup of the ten top stories you should know now.

1. Typhoon Haiyan Hits the Philippines

10,000 people have been reported dead, with another 2 million displaced after one of the strongest storms on record wreaked havoc throughout the Philippines last Thursday.  About 10 percent of the population has been affected, with 600,000 displaced from their homes, and the greatest devastation occurring in the city of Tacloban, where a reported mass grave of 300 to 500 bodies exists.  The waves and winds up to 235 mph left 70 to 80 percent of the structures hit in ruins.

Read more about it here.

2. Obama Apologizes for Misleading Affordable Care Act

President Obama apologized Thursday for his false assurances that Americans could keep their health insurance plans under the Affordable Care Act.  This has been one of the many issues associated with the implementation of this bill, forcing an apology by Obama as many Americans are outraged that they in fact are not able to keep their health insurance as is under the Affordable Care Act.

Read more about it here

3. Justin Bieber Filmed Sleeping in Bed by Brazilian Girl

The 19-year-old Canadian pop star has made headlines once again as a 15-second video taped by a Brazilian girl went viral on Wednesday, Nov. 6.  Bieber has yet to officially comment on the issue, but according to the Daily News, the girl was one of 50 guests invited to a concert after party and took the video after Bieber fell asleep on the couch.

Read more about it and watch the video here.  

4. Kate Middleton Seen Sporting Grays

Recently released photos of Kate Middleton reveal gray roots, causing many to question, is Kate going gray?  They were clearly evident with her new center-part hairstyle, but it is most likely due to post-natal hormonal changes.  Though Kate’s look was a deviation from her usual perfection, with a quick touch up she’ll be back to her princess perfection that we all envy.

Read more about it here

5. Hawaii House Passes Gay Marriage Bill

The Hawaii House of Representatives passed a bill Friday night legalizing gay marriage, where it is now thrown to the Senate for final approval before it is signed by Gov. Neil Abercrombie.  The bill passed 30-19, with two lawmakers excused, and would allow same-sex couples to wed starting Dec. 2.  The Senate should consider the measure Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Read more about it here

6. Good Week for Georgetown Men’s Soccer, Bad Week for Georgetown Men’s Basketball

The No. 8 Georgetown University Men’s Soccer Team won the Big East Regular Season Championship Friday, Nov. 8 with a 1-0 win over the Villanova Wildcats at Shaw Field.  This gives Georgetown the top seed in the tournament where they will face the winner of the fifth-seeded Creighton and fourth-seeded Providence at PPL Park at 6 p.m. on Friday.  On another note, the Men’s Basketball team fell short against No. 19 Oregon, losing 82-75 in the Armed Forces Classic played at the Camp Humphrey’s Super Gym in South Korea Saturday morning.  The Hoyas were able to come back and take the lead in the second half after an early first half deficit, but they were unable to hold on after the Ducks went on an 8-0 run.  Their home opener is Wednesday, Nov. 13 against Wright State at the Verizon Center at 7 p.m.

Read more about the soccer team here, and the basketball team here

7. Miami Dolphins’ Incognito Accused of Physical, Verbal, and Sexual Abuse

Miami Dolphins lineman Richie Incognito has been accused of physical and verbal abuse towards teammate Jonathan Martin, as well sexual harassment of a golf tournament volunteer, according to police reports filed last year.  He has been suspended from the Dolphins following reports that he bullied and threatened Martin, who has left the team.  The alleged sexual harassment incident occurred at “Fins Weekend Golf Tournament” on May 18, 2012 at Turnberry Golf Resort and Hotel in Aventura, Fla.

Read more about it here

8. Ryan Lochte Injured After Fan Encounter: Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte tore his MCL and sprained his ACL a week and a half ago during a visit to Gainesville, Fla.  He was knocked over when trying to catch a teenage girl running at him.  However, according to his medical team, he is “expected to make a full and speedy recovery.”

Read more about it here.  

9. Jessica Simpson Debuts Post-Baby Weight Loss: Jessica Simpson showed off her skinny new post-baby physique on her Instagram account Friday, posting a photo from her Weight Watchers’ campaign.  She has created buzz for her killer new body, which is a welcome change after she had previously been ridiculed in the press for her 70-pound weight gain during her first pregnancy.

Check out her great new look and read more about it here

10. Possible Reconciliation for Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom? The news of the split between model Miranda Kerr and actor Orlando Bloom has devastated us all, but there may still be hope, as Miranda Kerr has hinted at a possible reconciliation between the two.  Though she has not made any official statement, when questioned by paparazzi at LAX last week she reiterated her commitment to her family.  Let’s hope that means what we’re thinking and they reconcile soon!

Read more about it here.

That’s the need to know stories for the week—be sure to check back next week to catch up on what’s been happening while you’ve been on the Hilltop!