Treat Yo Self: Manicure Madness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The Holy Nail

In the words of the beloved Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, it is nice every once in a while to “treat yo self” to primping activities such as manicures and pedicures. However, nail polish only lasts a couple days before chipping, and the money and time spent at the nail salon isn’t always worth it. Recently, I have started diligently giving myself a manicure every week, and with practice, I have started to achieve a similar outcome to that which I would get at any nail salon. Here are my steps and recommendations for giving yourself a salon-esque manicure without making a dent in your pocket change:

1.     First remove your current color with nail polish remover. With darker colors it is important to avoid removers with acetone, because the dark color, whether red or black, will get everywhere except off your nail, and you will have to spend extra time on it. I also recommend shying away from cotton balls and instead embracing cotton pads at this stage of the process in order to eliminate some of the excess cotton sticking to your nail.

[pagebreak]

Atlantic-Pacific

2.     After the nail polish is gone, wash your hands in order to get rid of the lasting effects of the remover and to help your fresh coat go on smoother. After washing and drying my hands, I like to put on moisturizer to ensure my hands are not dry for the next step.

3.     Clip nails using a nail clipper and file into whichever shape you want. I am deeply attached to my nail file because it is six-sided and tells me what each side does every step of the way, but any regular nail file is sure to get the job done just fine. Although it is tempting to clip your cuticles to get rid of that painful excess skin, cutting your own cuticles can be damaging to your nail bed. Applying a tiny bit of cuticle oil to your nails a couple of times a week helps you to fix the problem without the damage and allows for healthier nail beds.

[pagebreak]

4.     Apply one base coat followed by two layers of color. Make sure to avoid excess paint on the brush because the paint can get chunky and run into the creases of your nails. Finally, wait 5 minutes before applying a final layer of topcoat.

Cupcakes and Cashmere

5.     Color- Everyone has their own go-to color. For me, I nearly always wear shades of pink and coral. My advice is go with the color you know works best for you and is your favorite. If you are unlike myself and actually possess some artistic genes in your body, nail art is becoming trendier every season. For the impending spring weather, I am looking forward to dabbling in the orange trend, and I have already ventured into white (no, it’s not just for French manicures anymore). Whatever color you choose to go with, embrace the fact that having nail polish that is fun and unique is now widely accepted. Just don’t forget to wait at least 45 minutes to let it dry!