Think Pink For Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

October fashion is usually characterized by earthy hues, like forest greens, auburn oranges, and chocolate browns, but it’s not time to bid farewell to our pinks of summer just yet.  This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and many stores are offering special discounts and merchandise in support of the cause.  These exclusive deals range from discounts with a pink purchase to limited-edition items donating part of the proceeds to breast cancer research.

Luckily, we are conveniently located just steps away from M Street, which houses many great stores offering these special deals.  Ralph Lauren’s Pink Pony line is aimed exclusively at spreading breast cancer awareness.  These products, including polos, tees, sweatpants, and more, all come emblazoned with a large Ralph Lauren signature pink pony, and 25 percent of the proceeds go to the Pink Pony Fund of the Polo Ralph Lauren Foundation.  This foundation supports programs for screening, early diagnosis, treatment, research and patient navigation.  If you’d rather shop online from the comfort of your bed, then Macy’s is also offering a deal worth looking into.  The Ralph Lauren Pink Pony pin is being offered from Oct. 1 to Oct. 14 for $5.  Along with this pin, buyers are gifted with a 20 percent discount at Macy’s storewide including some limitations.  After you’ve already bought your pink pin and acquired your 20 percent discount, be sure to check out Macy’s Pink Shop to find more exclusive breast cancer awareness deals by Essie, Estee Lauder, The North Face, and more.

Another store offering limited-edition merchandise is Tory Burch, which is soon to open on M.  This popular fashion label is offering scarves designed with the cause in mind.  These include a $75 silk printed Skinny Multi-Way Scarf, and a $185 Dip-Dye Logo Jacquard Scarf.  Twenty percent of the proceeds from these purchases go to breast cancer research, so treat yourself to a little pink accessory without feeling any guilt.

Other stores in Georgetown that are supporting Breast Cancer Awareness month are LOFT and Sephora.  Giuliana Rancic and Suzanna Dai have partnered up to create and exclusive jewelry line for LOFT to benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.  This line includes earrings and necklaces ranging from $39.50 to $69.50 with 60 percent of all proceeds going towards breast cancer research.  These beautiful pieces are a great way to add some sparkle to your outfit while supporting a great cause. 

If you’re more in the market for some beauty products, then head over to Sephora to get your pink fix. Two Faced is offering a special pink lip-gloss in support of the founders’ stepmother who is currently battling breast cancer.  This sparkly, light pink shade is named Two Faced, Love Debbi and 20 percent of the sales will help raise money for mammogram screening services for patients in need.

These stores both offer great deals to add some sparkle to your look without the additional shoppers guilt, but if you’re too swamped with midterms for a shopping break just pick up the EOS Strawberry Sorbet and Fresh Watermelon Lip Balm Duo on your next CVS run to do your part to support the cause as all proceeds go to benefit breast cancer research.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is an important time to give back to those who could use support.  Whether you know someone battling this disease, or you know someone who has overcome it, everyone has been affected by this in some way so show your support by taking advantage of these special deals.  The best part is that you’re doing your part to give back, but you get the added bonus of looking cute while doing so.