Career

Taco Bell is Giving Away $21 Million in Scholarships by 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The Taco Bell Foundation announced that it is giving away more than $21 million in college scholarships by 2021. And to sweeten the deal, Taco Bell doesn’t care about your GPA, SAT or ACT scores. Instead, your main requirement is to submit a two-minute video describing what you’re passionate about.

The Live Más Scholarship was created by the Taco Bell Foundation to help students complete their education and pursue their passions, while also realizing that you don’t have to be an athlete or have the best grades to be passionate about something. In comparison, many other scholarships require you to meet a specific GPA or study a certain subject to apply. Taco Bell is looking to appeal to students who may not meet those requirements and help them make an impact on the world.

In 2018, the Taco Bell Foundation awarded $3 million in scholarships to students all over the United States. For 2019, the Taco Bell Foundation plans to award a total of $4 million in Live Más Scholarships, with $1 million reserved for new applications, $2.25 million for previous applicants and $750,000 for Taco Bell restaurant employees. The application is open until midnight (PDT) on Feb. 21, 2019.

How to Enter

To apply for the Live Más Scholarship, you must be a legal resident of and located in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. You must be between 16 and 24 years old and on track to apply for or currently enrolled in an accredited post-high school or post-secondary educational program. There are different applications for new applicants, previous applicants, and Taco Bell employees, so be sure to check the website for details before applying.

You must create a two-minute video describing your passion. According to the scholarship site, the video doesn’t have to be a great film, they just want to understand how you want to impact the world. Within the video, you must answer questions about your post-secondary degree, college or certificate program, your passion, how you pursue it and how you will impact your local community or the world. The awards range from $2,500 to $25,000.

Other Options to Consider

If you’re looking for ways to afford college costs, you should explore other options in addition to this scholarship. Many companies and organizations offer scholarships and grants to college students. However, you may be required to have a certain GPA, write an essay or study a specific subject to qualify for these other scholarships and grants. Some other opportunities to consider are:

• The Dr. Pepper Tuition Giveaway: To apply, you need to create a video to describe how you will change the world and how winning the money will impact your life.

• Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship: In order to qualify, you must be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior with at least a 3.00 GPA, working toward a research career in natural science, engineering or math.

• “Atlas Shrugged” essay contest: You must submit an essay between 800 to 1,600 words about the book “Atlas Shrugged.” The first-place winner will receive $25,000.

After exploring all these options and submitting your FAFSA, if you still need more money to cover your college costs, you should look at your private student loan options. Depending on your credit history, private lenders may offer lower interest rates than federal loans. Keep in mind that you may not have the same repayment options that federal loans offer, so always max out your other options before resorting to private loans.