Spring Trends: Report from the Runway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

“Every year the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future… this is known as Fashion Week.”

As the writers of Sex and the City so eloquently put it in the voice of Carrie Bradshaw, New York Fashion Week provides the world with a first glimpse of new designers, emerging trends, and the promise of spring to endure cold winter days. One of my favorite collections was Rebecca Taylor’s (featured above), which showed a lot of pastels, relaxed fits, and crop tops. Additionally, many other designers including Tory Burch, Marc Jacobs, and Chanel all featured backpacks in their spring collections.

From blazers to accessories, and even shoes, pastels could be seen in a variety of shows in this year’s Fashion Week. Personally I love pastels and lace because they are both feminine and timeless. Pops of pink along with subtle yellows and mint greens are perfect for a look that is slightly girly and completely chic.

Lizzie Fortunato Monet Garden Necklace

Alexander Wang Mesh-Trimmed Knitted Tank

Kate Spade Marit Skirt

Burberry Prorsum Lace Pencil Skirt

Chanel Iridescent Calfskin Flap Bag

Crop tops! Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I have always been an advocate of the crop top campaign. Even though my brothers usually ask me if I shop at baby gap when I wear them, I am ecstatic they are so “in” this season. Crop tops are great because they accentuate the smallest part of every woman’s waist. Pair with a high-waisted skirt or drawstring slouchy pants if you are feeling extra trendy, and I promise you will look and feel great.

Alice + Olivia Connelly Striped Crop Top

Zara Knit Crop Top

Aritzia Wilfred Dewi T-shirt

Zara Asymmetric Crop Top

This season, sweats and slob will no longer be synonymous. Relaxed fit slouchy pants are in every store and every material. While I would love to own the lululemon’s above, I couldn’t bring myself to drop nearly $100 on sweats. Instead, I got the H&M version for a quarter of the price and one hundred percent of the look.  Additionally, I wear my purple, silk slouchy pants out all the time with a tight fitting tank or dressed up with a blazer for work.

Rebecca Taylor Zebra Jacquard Cropped Sweater

Acne Beta Geometric Orange Sweatshirt

Rebecca Taylor Ghost Flower Pant

David Lerner Penn Leather-Patch Sweatpants

Lululemon Happy Yin Year Pant

Backpacks are no longer just for books and lunch boxes. Tory Burch, Stella McCartney, and Elizabeth and James are just a few of the many designers who featured these stylish yet practical pieces. I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect backpack because I think they are understated, casual, and effortlessly chic.

Stella McCartney Falabella BackPack

Elizabeth and James Cynnie Perforated Sling Backpack

Tory Burch Marion Quilted SMALL Backpack (much smaller than it appears)

Stella McCartney Falabella BackPack

Katie Stuke

Georgetown

Lacey Henry

Georgetown