Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

A new semester is here and we can begin again with a clean slate.  Nonetheless, we know this feeling won’t last for long.  The first round of midterms will come barreling in before we even realize.  So it couldn’t hurt to find a little time before class get’s too hectic to get a fresh start in your dorm room as well.  Cleaning and organizing your room doesn’t sound like the greatest time, but it will make you feel good in the end.  Being in a cleaner, prettier, version of what you started with is like starting a new semester.  You will feel fresh and rejuvenated.  But where to start?

1.  Before you even begin to start cleaning, you need some good music to listen to.  I recommend checking out 8tracks.  It is a website where people across the world create their own playlists and can tag those playlists with certain themes or genres.  So you can actually search playlists like “cleaning your room,” “productivity,’” or “good mood.” 

2.  So now that you have some good jams, it’s time to get down and dirty.  If you have a personal bathroom, start there.  Grab paper towel and a cleaner, such as Windex or 409 and scrub down everything.  The floor, mirror, tub, sink, and yes… the toilet.  If you don’t have a toilet bowl cleaner, you can actually use Coca Cola as a non-toxic cleaner to get rid of stains.  Here is the Pinterest tutorial.  Once the bathroom is looking shiny and new, don’t forget to go through your medicine cabinet and discard expired medications and old make-up or toiletries.  

3.  Next, head for the closet.  As a clothes hoarder myself, I understand the difficulties in getting rid of things.  I always tell myself, “I may wear that one day”, meanwhile the tag has been on there for two months.  No excuses this time.  If you have items you haven’t worn in months, it’s time for a closet purging.  You can sell items that are still in good condition to stores like Buffalo Exchange and whatever doesn’t sell, you can donate to thrift stores or shelters.  It really is a win-win!

4.  Once your closet has been refined, your desk area is next on the list. Whether it’s lip balm, bobby pins, coins, or my keys, I find that I always have miscellaneous items covering every surface of my desk.  My solution might sound strange, but I bought a dog bowl from the campus bookstore and it is actually the perfect place for all those random items.  Plus, it is school-spirited and adorable.  Otherwise, investing in some storage units can be very beneficial for all of your electronics, cables, books, and school supplies.  If everything has a place, it is much easier to be organized.  

5.  Lastly, after you have tackled the most tedious areas of your room, it’s time to do an overall clean sweep.  Dust, vacuum, and get all of your laundry done, including your sheets and pillowcase.  At the end of it all you will probably be exhausted, but it truly is worth it.  Your room will feel good and you will feel good.  It’s the start of a new semester, a new room, and a new you.  Happy cleaning!

Lauren Saar

Georgetown

My name is Lauren Saar. I am a sophomore in the College at Georgetown University. I am an English major and am on the varsity volleyball team. I am also a Style Guru representing Georgetown's campus at CollegeFashionista.com. I could talk about fashion, film, and music for hours and I am excited to be able to write about exactly those sorts of things on HerCampus.
Lacey Henry

Georgetown