Spring Break Fashion: Swimwear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The diets are starting and girls are hitting the gym at every possible free moment…the official spring break countdown has begun.  However, it’s not just about achieving the perfect body, but is also about getting the perfect bathing suit to show it off in style.  The simple black and white suits are always a hit, but this year it’s all about bright colors and patterns.  As with any fashion season, girls like to throw it back to an old style era, and this swimsuit season, girls are going retro.  The high-waisted and bustier tops are in, but if that’s not your style try a new texture or cute floral print.  Whichever trend catches your eye as you’re shopping for that much-needed tropical vacation, we’ll make sure you’re basking in the sun in style.

Retro:

A favorite of celebs like Katy Perry and Taylor Swift, the retro swimsuit trend has been growing each summer.  Known for the high-waisted bottoms, bustier tops, and cute ruffles, retro swimwear is a symbol of high fashion on the beach.  Take the plunge this spring break and go for a stylish retro swimsuit—it will definitely get you noticed!

[pagebreak]

Mix & Match: 

Mixing and matching tops and bottoms is a fun way to add some creativity to your beach style.  This year bright colors are popular, so why not go for those neons to really show off your tan? Try mixing an electric turquoise top with a bright royal blue bottom, or if done right you can even mix patterns, like a pink polka-dot bandeau top with a pink striped bottom.  Wearing a solid top with a patterned bottom is always a hit as well, so mix it up this spring break and create a stellar combination to show off your personality.

[pagebreak]

Textured:

A big trend also this year is textured bathing suits.  This ranges from embellished beading to a classy lace or a crotchet top.  There’s a different texture for all styles, including fringe, sequins, and metallics, so you might want to think about investing in a textured bathing suit that matches your style to add variety to your collection.

[pagebreak]

Floral and Animal Patterned:

There are always new must-have patterns, and this year it’s floral and animal prints.  If you’re looking for bright colors, go for a cute floral print, but if you’re looking for a sexier look, go for a tasteful cheetah or zebra print.  Either way, you will definitely be seeing these prints all over the beach this year.

Bathing suits can sometimes be hard to shop for, but once you find the perfect one nothing can stop you from feeling great in it, so make sure to be creative this year and try something new!

[pagebreak]

Photo Sources: 

Retro Swimsuits Sources:

Mix and Match:
Textured:

Floral and Patterned:
Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!