Sophisticated Scribbles: Politics on the Brain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

In case you’ve failed to notice from the ubiquitous advertisements, tense political bickering, or you live in a cave; election season is at its peak. It always surprises me how quickly it creeps up on us every four years. Yet, here we are six weeks away from the decisive November 6th date. The question stands: Who are you voting for? Actually nowadays the real question is: Are you voting?

The simple fact that this question needs to be asked says a lot. This is my first election season as a registered voter, and I’m excited. I’m also an anomaly. Not to say that I am, or ever have been a political junkie. However, I’m proud to be able to say I’ll have a hand in choosing the next President. Oh, and sometimes I like to picture myself in a chic pencil skirt and blazer, owning the political sphere. Picture Audrey Hepburn meets Jackie Kennedy meets Hillary Clinton. But, that’s beside the point.

I strongly believe that young women should be encouraged to vote. Whoever said women and politics don’t mix was sorely mistaken. Politics was always reserved as an arena for men. Not anymore. Today women are demonstrating that we can be valuable and respected participants in the politics. Of course they are also more harshly criticized and subject to biased media attention, but that’s a topic for a different day. Maybe it’s the influence of the women’s and gender studies class I’m taking this semester, but in a society with fundamental structures designed to benefit and advance men, women have a lot left to fight for. Gender equality has a long way to go, and there are many key women’s issues that we can bring to the forefront of the discussion. Voting is only half the battle, but it’s an important step nonetheless. Let’s make Susan B. Anthony proud.

Though I’m targeting this towards the HerCampus audience, this applies to everyone. It’s incredibly disheartening to know that the majority of America’s youth doesn’t even bother to vote. There are issues at stake that will directly affect our lives and those of the next generations. How can they be so apathetic about their country’s future? What’s the point of having a democracy if the people don’t participate? People throughout history have struggled and risked their lives for the right to vote, especially women. We dishonor them by taking our rights for granted.

The 18-30 year old age range makes up a large portion of the eligible voting pool, so I don’t believe the your “vote doesn’t even count” argument. It could if you gave it the chance. If you don’t vote then don’t complain. Unless you make an effort to contribute to the betterment of this country through the simple act of voting for your choice candidate then you’re saying that you don’t care. It’s one day. Every four years. I think that’s pretty manageable. The vote is a gift. So vote! And I don’t mean vote for the best dressed or best looking, though it’s tempting sometimes…Vote for the candidate that inspires you and makes you believe they can build a better America.

Oh and by the way, I’m Lacey Henry, and I approve this message.

P.S. I’ve also decided to end each post with an inspirational quote of the week from sophisticated women we know, love, and admire. Enjoy!

Quote of the Week: “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!” – Audrey Hepburn

Lacey Henry

Georgetown

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!