Sophisticated Scribbles: Fall Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Notice that feeling of crisp air as you walked out the door this morning? That’s right it’s official autumn; my favorite season! If you’re feeling glum and wishing summer could extend another few weeks I’ve listed my top five reasons to love fall. In the words of Julie Andrews, here are a few of my favorite things!

1. Boots

I live for the moment I can break out my boots. By the time October rolls around I’m over flip-flops and sandals and ready for a serious footwear change. A pair of boots is an effortless accessory that looks fabulous with any outfit. Chic boots, black boots, cowboy boots, over-the-knee boots, Ugg boots; there are so many options, you can’t go wrong! Bonus: you don’t have to pay to get a pedicure every few weeks – boots have got you covered, literally.

2. Pumpkin

Get ready for jack o’ lanterns cause it’s finally pumpkin season! There’s nothing better than the pumpkin pancakes at Martin’s, pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks, or delicious pumpkin bread generously sent by your roommates’ mom. Plus, orange is totally in right now.

3. Colors
Don’t get me wrong; I love bright, summery colors. My friends tease me incessantly about my excessive Lilly Pulitzer wardrobe. I take full advantage of the sunshine weather to get my bright color fix from June until August. However, I always look forward to the transition to warmer colors that complement the fiery leaves. A nice cream sweater, cranberry coat, chocolate brown corduroys,… the list goes on. Disclaimer: Pink is the ultimate exception. It’s acceptable to wear bright pink during any and all four seasons.

4. Holidays
Fall is jam-packed with days of celebration. Nothing you can complain about there! Three day weekends (thank you Christopher Columbus), an excuse to dress up in ways that are usually socially unacceptable, and a day dedicated to all you can eat with your family. And of course, Homecoming, a Georgetown holiday in its own right. Need I say more?

5. Georgetown

Granted Georgetown is one of my favorite things in any season, but especially fall. The brisk air finally rid of the summer humidity, leaves that crackle under your feet as you walk across Healy lawn, casually sipping hot coffees from UG on the way to class, and the fresh smell of new books signifying new classes and routines. The campus looks beautiful and maybe it’s the sun kissed glow that hasn’t faded yet, but Hoyas just seem to be happier in the fall!

6. My Birthday
Yes, I know I only said five. Yes, I passed Statistics last semester and can count. But unfortunately this doesn’t apply to all of you out there. Nonetheless I encourage you all to take a minute to celebrate on October 11th – I know I will be! 

Quote of the Week: “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.” – Coco Chanel

Photo Sources: 
http://www.annabellebreakey.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/starbucks-shoot/…
http://offcampus.georgetown.edu/images/CarolineGarityFallPhoto_1.jpg
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-09-10-fallboots.jpg

Lacey Henry

Georgetown

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!