Saxby’s Superstar: Minali Aggarwal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It’s the place to be if you need to get work done, meet a friend for an afternoon pick me up, or want to grab a latte before class. Saxby’s has become a quintessential part of the Georgetown experience, so Her Campus Georgetown met with Fort Wayne, IN native Minali Aggarwal (SFS ’16) and sipped on some caffeine while discussing what it’s like to work as a Saxby’s barista.

How did your Saxby’s career begin?

Minali: I came to school in early August to work for The Voice and I have a pretty open schedule this year and wanted to do something with my time. I thought a job would balance out my schedule nicely. Working in a coffee shop isn’t easy, but I don’t mind the early wake up at 5 a.m. I’m happy to work here this semester, since my schedule will get a lot more hectic with studying abroad next year and research projects.

Studying abroad? Research projects? Sounds cool!

M: I’m a Regional Comparative Studies major with a concentration in Religion, Ethics and World Affairs. I hope to do some research in the Berkley Center on how religion affects peoples’ behavior in political sense, specifically in South Asia or Latin America. I’ll study abroad somewhere where I can conduct more research, so I’m thinking Argentina or Chile.

What’s an average shift at Saxby’s like?

M: They vary day to day. Mornings are awesome because it’s always hectic, and you start to get to know the customers because the same customers come on certain days. Nights are usually slow and involve a lot of prep for the next day, I usually leave at 11:30 at night. There are certain…eccentric customers. The same old man comes in multiple times a day, he knows all the baristas, and complains to us about his insomnia. It’s probably because he drinks ten cups of coffee a day, but we listen to him tell his stories. The kids from Visitation and other schools around here come in and they all get the crazy Frappuccino’s- the most popular is the Kookie Monster which tastes like a milkshake. Definitely not only college kids!

What’s your favorite drink? Favorite drink to make?

M: My favorite drink right now is the Caramel Apple Cider- it’s amazing! Pumpkin Spice Lattes are the fall favorite, but they’re too sweet for me. The cider isn’t too sweet and has a sour taste, it’s the best. I love making smoothies and using the whipped cream gun.

I’m sure mornings are the most hectic shift?

M: Definitely mornings, but also the afternoon rush. From around 7:00-9:30 a.m. are crazy, then it calms down and you have the occasional customer and people getting work done. Weekend mornings are also really crazy in here.

What other activities are you involved with in Georgetown?

M: I’m an editor of The Voice, specifically for the blog component of it. It’s hard to manage everything at once sometimes, but it’s totally worth it!

Lightning Round

Favorite movie: Adventureland

Relax on the beach or hit the slopes: Definitely beach

Favorite dessert: Pistachio ice cream

Dinner with anyone, dead or alive: Miley Cyrus, she’s so intriguing

Favorite place: Portland, OR