sarah oliver handbags: Made with Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Looking for a unique new handbag?  How about one that could double as a conversation starter?  It sounds too good to be true, right?  However, you’re in luck because those kinds of handbags actually exist and they’re popping up in boutiques everywhere.  Sarah Oliver and her Purlettes + One grant you this wish by designing and producing one-of-a-kind bags, each of which have their own character. 

Since its foundation in 2005, Sarah Oliver handbags have taken an unconventional approach to its business model.  It began with the founder and designer, Sarah Oliver, hand-knitting stylish bags for her friends and family and grew from there.  As the bags rose in popularity, Oliver looked to expand her one-man-show and came across the residents of The Redwoods Senior Retirement Community in Mill Valley, California.  Rather than commercializing by going to factories overseas, Oliver chose to maintain the handmade quality of her bags by employing the residents of The Redwoods.  This talented team of knitters, with the average age of 88, are known as the Purlettes + One, with the “One” representing their only male knitter, Hector Richards.  They meet with Oliver once a week to collect new wool and hand over their newly knitted bags.  Each knitter has his or her own style, which Oliver takes into account when assigning designs to be produced by them.  This, along with the output each knitter can produce, adds a different dimension to Oliver’s business model, as she must really know her Purlettes + One and the amount that they are capable of producing.  This is crucial to the success of her business because it ensures consistency among the handbags and guarantees that the supply can meet the demand.  Once Oliver receives the knitted product from her Purlettes + One, she manages the final production of her personal designs and artfully chooses a stylish brooch to embellish each bag.

[pagebreak]

Not only does the unique production method make these handbags desirable, but the designs and versatility are unparalleled as well.  The handbags are offered in four sizes: Mini Clutch, Clutch, Evening Bag, and The Coco, and there are currently three collections: Spring 2013, Classic, and the newly launched Bridal collection.  The vibrant colors of the Spring Collection are perfect for a night out in DC with this summery weather we’ve been having, and the cross-body option of the mini clutch makes it a favorite among college girls. It’s sometimes a struggle to find the perfect bag to match your outfit, but with Sarah Oliver, you can change up the look of the same purse!  This is essential to the wardrobe of all college girls, who know that less is sometimes more and it’s a necessary skill to be able to make new outfits with the items you already have.  Sarah Oliver understands this, that’s why the brooch embellishment can be mixed and matched according to your own style.  With so many style options, there is guaranteed to be a perfect bag and brooch that fits you.

Everyone always wants to be a trendsetter and discover the latest new designer, and Sarah Oliver handbags is definitely on the cutting edge in the fashion industry.  You can avoid being that typical girl lining outside Rhino with the same black leather bag as the girl in front of you.  Instead, work a stylish, wool Sarah Oliver handbag with a sparkle that is sure to catch someone’s eye, and when it does, bask in the glorious feeling that no one will have the same exact bag as you, while you proceed to tell the heart-warming story of production of your signature piece.  These pieces of wearable art are made with love, stitch by stitch, by someone whose own story and character adds a priceless quality to the one-of-a-kind bags.  Not to mention that each bag comes with a picture of the Purlette + One that knitted it.  How can you top this personalized shopping experience? 

[pagebreak]

Check out www.saraholiverhandbags.com or head into DC to one of their retailing boutiques to find your perfect bag and enjoy a 25% discount when you mention this article!