Review: Escape Artist DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It was Friday night and I was restless. I was tired of the overhyped bars, the crowded skating rinks, and the cold monuments. I wanted a night with my gals but I wanted something new.

After a few wrong turns and retracing of steps, we finally reached 720 I St. There was a gold plaque above the door that ominously read, “ESCAPE ARTIST DC”. Upon entering, the establishment looked like an apartment, causing my friends and I to wonder whether we were in the right place. But a friendly receptionist greeted us and led us to a room where we watched a simple instructional video detailing our goal for the evening, to solve the mystery of a stolen piece of art and of course, escape the room.

We were then led upstairs where all the different rooms were. Before being locked in for 45 minutes, we were given a link we could search on our phones to get 2 clues. After the time was up, our hostess knocked on the door and entered, seeing all of us on the floor desperately attempting to piece together a puzzle. The designer, who also designed the other 2 rooms, then walked us through the last few steps and also added in a few other routes we could have taken. 

Afterwards, we were led downstairs and offered photo booth signs to hold up for any photos we wanted on our phones. The hostess patiently stood there and rotated through 4 of our phones.

Now, I went with 3 of my friends, making it a group of 4 but I would suggest 6 as an ideal number. I will also note that this is not a chain but an independent establishment. I personally love small businesses because not only is the price usually cheaper, but there is more personalized attention.  What they lack in handwritten signs and a subtle location, they completely make up with friendliness and thought-provoking rooms. I found the service here wonderful and instead of an intrusive person sitting in the room to prevent cheating, there were simply cameras installed in each room. Moreover, for $16 a person, less than I would have spent at a club, I consider it an evening well done.

As we said our goodbyes and shook hands with the designer, my friend Anna quickly slipped in, “We’ll be back” and she wasn’t lying.

As we skipped out into the fresh air with a sense of fulfillment, we waved to the Navy boys before heading to one of the many dessert places nearby, passing the Eastern Market, and then making our way to Capitol Hill, a 30 minute walk away. 

*Note: Escape Artist DC invited the writer to participate and write a review.*

Main Image Credit: http://www.escapeartistdc.com

Jessie Yu

Georgetown

A freshman at Georgetown, Jessie loves what her mother calls "domestic housewife hobbies" such as knitting, cooking, baking, etc. but despite this, she is a large advocate for women's rights and for the environmental conservation. She is a self-described electic and has not yet determined her major. Unlike most millenials, she has neither an instagram nor a twitter but you can continue to read her works at Hercampus.com!