Must See Christmas Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Source: http://drafthouse.com/movies/its_a_wonderful_life/austin

It is finally that time of year.  The gingerbread latte is offered at Starbucks, twinkling lights are all around, and Christmas music is being played in every store.  Nonetheless, with our minds consumed with finals, it can be difficult to get into the Christmas spirit.  So in between studying for that chem exam and writing your philosophy paper, take a break and check out one of these top Christmas movies sure to fill you up with Christmas cheer.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)

This animated film based on Dr. Seuss’s children’s book, is undoubtedly an American Christmas classic.  It tells the story of The Grinch, a character who lives within a mountain cave and has a heart “two sizes too small.”  He disguises himself as Santa Claus and steals Christmas from Whoville, the town living below him.  After he takes the lights, trees, and gifts up to his mountain, he hears joyous singing coming from Whoville. The Grinch, first confused on how they could still be happy, begins to understand that the true spirit of Christmas does not rely on material things.  As his heart grows three sizes, he returns everything back to the Whos and even stays for their Christmas feast.

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation  (1989)

As the third part of National Lampoon’s Vacation film series, this modern Christmas classic is hilariously entertaining. Clark Griswold is determined to have a very special Christmas celebration for his family.  He invites most of his extended family to join in as well, but they prove to be burdensome and obnoxious.  Along with this, Clark faces many other unfortunate issues, including a bursting turkey, a burnt tree, an electrocuted cat, and a boss who didn’t give him a Christmas bonus.  These events continue to add up as Clark reaches his boiling point, kidnaps his boss, and eventually receives his bonus with an added 20 percent.  Overall, it turns out to be a perfect, albeit dysfunctional, family Christmas.

A Christmas Story (1983)

Nine-year old Ralphie Parker wants only one thing for Christmas: a Red Ryder BB Gun.  Yet everywhere Ralphie turns, adults refuse his wishes and claim, “You’ll shoot your eye out.”  Even the department store Santa Claus gives him the same reply.  Nonetheless, as Christmas morning comes, Ralphie finds his BB gun hidden among the rest of the presents.  Going out to test his new gun, he inadvertently hits his glasses and crushes them.  Then as his mother takes him upstairs to calm his crying, a group of dogs run inside to devour the Christmas turkey.  All in all however, things turn out okay.  The family heads to a Chinese restaurant for dinner and Ralphie sleeps right beside his Red Ryder BB Gun, the perfect present on a perfect Christmas.  

Elf (2003)

Will Ferrell stars as Buddy the elf in this Christmas film full of nonstop laughs.  Buddy was raised by elves in the North Pole, oblivious to the fact that he is actually human.  Once he becomes aware of this, Buddy sets out for New York City to find his real father in his office in the Empire State Building.  Buddy faces a hilarious whirlwind of challenges as he enters the unknown and attempts to enlighten his grouchy father about his existence.  Finding love, friends, and family, Buddy ultimately saves Christmas and inspires New York City to believe in Santa once again.

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

It’s a Wonderful Life is considered one of the most beloved films in American history. If you are going to watch one film this Christmas season, let it be this one. George Bailey, a man who dreams of traveling the world, sacrifices his desires for the benefit of everyone around him. Then on Christmas Eve, George is just about to commit suicide when his guardian angel, Clarence, intervenes. Clarence shows him how many people he has touched, the lives he has saved, and how much better his community is because of him. George begs to live again and his prayer is answered as he realizes just how wonderful his life really is.

Lauren Saar

Georgetown

My name is Lauren Saar. I am a sophomore in the College at Georgetown University. I am an English major and am on the varsity volleyball team. I am also a Style Guru representing Georgetown's campus at CollegeFashionista.com. I could talk about fashion, film, and music for hours and I am excited to be able to write about exactly those sorts of things on HerCampus.