Michelle Mohr COL ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Many people hate politics because they feel as if the system is not fair, and they don’t really have a voice in the government. That is why Michelle and her friend, Caroline Clenedin, decided to bring Americans Elect to Georgetown. Americans Elect is a non-partisan organization that is trying to put a third person on the ballot. The goal is to have someone popular elected, through an online convention that has nothing to do with a political party.

So far the organization has been able to get on the ballot in 18 states and it’s still growing. There are different chapters of the organization in various college campuses and Michelle and Caroline are starting one here at Georgetown. “What we’ll be attempting to do is getting people to sign up as delegates,” says Michelle about what they hope to accomplish through the organization.

In addition to co-funding the Georgetown chapter of Americans Elect, Michelle is also a member of the mock trial team. In the beginning of the year the team is given a case packet, which contains a situation in which the team has to portray the lawyers and the witnesses and judges rank each team. The team goes to competitions at Yale, Penn State, and Richmond and won third place at Penn State and first place at Yale and during the second semester went to the advanced super-regionals.

Additionally, Michelle is a student guard, a member of the Catholic Students Association Board, and plays Frisbee. 

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!