Meet Carly Heitlinger of The College Prepster

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Carly Heitlinger of the blog The College Prepster has been providing readers with their daily dose of prep since 2008 when she created her website from her Harbin dorm room. Yes, Carly is a Georgetown alum (she graduated in 2012) which makes her even more awesome! Now living and working in New York City, Carly generously gave her time for this interview. 

What was the inspiration behind creating The College Prepster?

I started blogging when I was a freshman at Georgetown. I had just struggled my way through my first semester and was studying for finals with friends on my floor. I started the blog kind of as a joke, but it ultimately turned into an amazing creative outlet!

What were some of the challenges you faced when creating the website?

I didn’t face any challenges when I first started. Blogging wasn’t what blogging is today. So there was no stress and I had absolutely zero expectations. I didn’t really care what the blog design looked like and I used a super simple program. I just jumped right in.

What advice do you have for girls who want to break into the blogging community?

I would try to write for other websites instead of blogging on your own. You can build a presence and develop your voice by writing for other sites. You’ll get a MUCH larger reach right off the bat and you can gain a following on Twitter, which will help if/when you decide to launch your own blog.

What are your favorite aspects of being part of the blogging community?

Just meeting people. Following along on Instagram and Twitter and reading about people’s daily lives makes me really feel like we’re friends before we even meet! Some of my best friends have come from blogging. 

What about the site are you most proud of?

I guess that I’ve just kept with it for so many years. I truly love what I’m doing. Occasionally, I’ll feel uninspired to post but then I’ll get the absolute nicest email from, say, a 13-year-old who loves reading my blog and then I’m fired right back up!

Do you ever think of changing the name of site since you’re no longer in college?

This is the hottest question! It’s something I’ve considered, but I don’t think people realize how much is at stake and how much is involved with a name change. It’s a much more complicated thing than simply switching over a domain and redoing a header image.

[pagebreak]

What are your fondest memories of Georgetown?

It’s funny because it was awful while it was happening, but I really miss my days of staking out the best tables and camping out all day long in Lau. My friend and I would come straight from practice and get our “favorite” table on the fifth floor!

Do you have any advice about college life for Her Campus readers?

Meet as many people as you can… students in your classes (and not in your classes,) professors, and even professionals in your city. Never underestimate the importance of creating wonderful relationships early on in your career.

What are your favorite places in the city?

I loved M St. A little too much. 

Is there anything you regret doing or not doing during your time at Georgetown?

I regret not studying abroad and making the run to the White House after the election my freshman year!

Lightning Round:

What are your favorite parts about living in NYC?

I love the hustle and bustle. I get the most amazing drive from the energy of the city. It’s incredibly inspiring. Everyone here is a rockstar.

What is the best advice you’ve ever received?

You can’t be everything for everyone.

Opinions on Leo’s are split, what did you really think about it?

I totally didn’t mind it. I was a SEAL (senior eating at Leo’s)… truth.

Favorite movie?

Phoebe in Wonderland

What is a little known fact about you?

I hate ketchup…. #HATEIT.

Any guilty pleasure?

Watching “Dance Moms”… and any kind of candy.

All the outfits that you post are awesome. Do you have any style icons?

I love Jenna Lyons and Reese Witherspoon… and even the fictional Blair Waldorf.