Meet Carly Heitlinger of The College Prepster

Carly Heitlinger of the blog The College Prepster has been providing readers with their daily dose of prep since 2008 when she created her website from her Harbin dorm room. Yes, Carly is a Georgetown alum (she graduated in 2012) which makes her even more awesome! Now living and working in New York City, Carly generously gave her time for this interview. 

What was the inspiration behind creating The College Prepster?

I started blogging when I was a freshman at Georgetown. I had just struggled my way through my first semester and was studying for finals with friends on my floor. I started the blog kind of as a joke, but it ultimately turned into an amazing creative outlet!

What were some of the challenges you faced when creating the website?

I didn't face any challenges when I first started. Blogging wasn't what blogging is today. So there was no stress and I had absolutely zero expectations. I didn't really care what the blog design looked like and I used a super simple program. I just jumped right in.

What advice do you have for girls who want to break into the blogging community?

I would try to write for other websites instead of blogging on your own. You can build a presence and develop your voice by writing for other sites. You'll get a MUCH larger reach right off the bat and you can gain a following on Twitter, which will help if/when you decide to launch your own blog.

What are your favorite aspects of being part of the blogging community?

Just meeting people. Following along on Instagram and Twitter and reading about people's daily lives makes me really feel like we're friends before we even meet! Some of my best friends have come from blogging. 

What about the site are you most proud of?

I guess that I've just kept with it for so many years. I truly love what I'm doing. Occasionally, I'll feel uninspired to post but then I'll get the absolute nicest email from, say, a 13-year-old who loves reading my blog and then I'm fired right back up!

Do you ever think of changing the name of site since you’re no longer in college?

This is the hottest question! It's something I've considered, but I don't think people realize how much is at stake and how much is involved with a name change. It's a much more complicated thing than simply switching over a domain and redoing a header image.