etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Live Like A Dane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The idea that Danish people are some of the happiest in the world is not recent news.  Denmark is often one of the top ranked countries (followed by Norway and Switzerland) on the “World Happiness Report,” and this year it has soared to spot #1.  Happiness is a significant factor in well being, as it has been recognized for lengthening life spans and increasing productivity.  Denmark’s celebrated level of happiness makes it an alluring tourist destination, and I hope to travel there one day soon myself!

Recently, I have encountered a slew of articles focused on the contentment of the Danish and the Denmark lifestyle.  Even reading about it was enjoyable, and it made me think, why can’t we be that happy and conscientious? Certainly, many U.S. citizens are happy and have adopted similar practices, coincidental or not, akin to the Denmark lifestyle.  There are some elements that we individually may not be able to change, such as the length of maternity leave we are allotted (the Danes average 52 weeks, while the U.S. is stuck at roughly 10.2,) but there are also many that we can independently control.  Therefore, there are some lessons that we can learn from the Danish culture.  Below is a list of the most popular reasons why Denmark has ascended to the top of the “World Happiness Report’s” 2013 list of happiest countries on earth.

7 Ways to Live like a Dane:

1.     Trust Others – Although people become vulnerable when they relinquish their defenses and trust others, excess worry and futile control is also let go.  According to the analysis of the “World Happiness Report,” trusting strangers is one component that leads to greater contentment.

2.     If You Don’t Like Something, Change It – Rather than dwelling in negativity by complaining about aspects of life you wish you could alter, just do it.  Sometimes it is difficult, but the end result is usually worth the struggle of change.  A survey shows that Danes are likely to take action against things they dislike – I know I am going to concentrate not only on changing things that I wish were different, but also on attacking my goals instead of just dreaming about them.

3.     Bike More, Drive Less – This tip is an obvious one, but biking minimizes pollution produced by cars, buses, trains, subways, and a mere 30 minutes per day can in fact add another couple years onto your life!  In Copenhagen, approximately 50 percent of the population bikes to work and school.

4.     Be Responsible – Focus on personal success for the benefit of others as well as for that of yourself.  Life is a balance between a myriad of activities and relationships, thus, happiness is boosted if that balance is maintained and if we work to make others’ lives easier as well.  Keep this in mind as you strive to be the best you possible, and don’t neglect those around you!

5.     Get Cozy in the Cold – Denmark has little light in the winter and can be bitingly cold, but that doesn’t stop the Danish people from relishing in the chilly weather.  The Danish concept of “hygge” connotes comfort, love, coziness, and strengthened social interaction during the darkest months of the year.  Don’t let the cold get you down (this is one idea that I am writing down for myself.)

6.     Don’t be Selfish – It’s easy to be gluttonous in a capitalistic society where everyone must help himself to succeed, but according to the “World Happiness Report,” one of the notable characteristics of a happier society was one that employed a “culture of generosity.”  So, offer your guidance to others.  What is success without others with whom to share it?

7.     Think Equality – The countries that ranked highest on the “World Happiness Report” are comparable in their efforts toward gender equality.  The Nordic countries, and highest countries on the happiness scale, were pioneers in granting women the right to vote.  Women in Denmark hold many a leadership position (though there is still progress to be made.)  When interacting with others, no matter who they are, we should never make them feel lesser.

Sources:

“Happiest In The World.” The Official Website of Denmark. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Nov. 2013. <http://denmark.dk/en/meet-the-danes/work-life-balance-the-danish-way/happy-danes/>.

Melnick, Meredith. “Denmark Is Considered The Happiest Country. You’ll Never Guess          Why.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 22 Oct. 2013. Web. 9 Nov.2013. <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/…         country_n_4070761.html>.

Fiona Smith

Georgetown

Studies English and Theatre & Performance Studies at Georgetown University (2014).