Leveraging Lipstick: The Power of a Polished Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

The pursuit of beauty is not a modern endeavor. From the Egyptians in 10,000 BCE using scented oils to clean their skin and mask body odor, to Grecian women whitening their complexion with lead and fashioning crude lipstick out of clay laced with red iron, efforts to improve one’s appearance can be found in almost every culture throughout history.

Despite evidence of beauty rituals in societies as archaic as these, considerable debate about the purpose and merit of makeup is prevalent today. A Google search of the seemingly innocuous question “Why do women wear makeup?” will return a plethora of comments encompassing all ends of the spectrum. Some positive responders highlight its fun and flirty nature, while others hold much harsher judgments. My personal favorite is the sardonic mockery of the classic Maybelline slogan, written by a columnist for The Atlantic: “Maybe she’s born with it. Maybe she’s succumbing to stifling patriarchy.”

To some, the expectation for women to apply makeup in order to appear desirable to men is analogous to the expectations for our ancestors to subject themselves to torturous corsets, and thus the pinnacle of modern misogyny. Other naysayers insinuate that girls who wear makeup are insecure and rely on it to compensate for a lack of intelligence or personality.

As an intellectual and supporter of many feminist ideals, yet lipstick enthusiast, I experienced a strong sense of cognitive dissonance when I read these perceptions of the beauty industry. I believe makeup can be a vehicle to express one’s femininity. This purpose should be celebrated, not condemned. Femininity and power are not mutually exclusive traits. In fact, new research shows the pair is highly correlated as predictors of a woman’s professional success.

A study paid for by Procter & Gamble asked one hundred forty-nine adults to view pictures of women in “natural”, “professional”, and “glamorous” looks, for 250 milliseconds, and allowed another one hundred nineteen adults unlimited time to look at the faces. Both groups judged women in makeup as more likable, confident, and trustworthy.  Additionally, makeup has an unquantifiable yet undeniable impact on a woman’s self-assurance. Bobbi Brown’s Pretty Powerful campaign celebrates the belief that makeup enhances a woman’s natural beauty and generates confidence; “All women are pretty without makeup—and can be pretty powerful with the right makeup”

If men assert their dominance through the proverbial “power suit” so too can women command respect with a bold lip and meticulously contoured cheek bones. Rather than deride a woman’s decision to wear makeup as a frivolous attempt to garner male attention, commend that action as a directed effort to ascertain whatever goals she may be pursuing. I believe beauty is powerful — and the first step towards any endeavor in my life is to apply my lipstick.

“A History of Cosmetics from Ancient Times.” Cosmetics Info. Personal Care Products Council, 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2014

Khazan, Olga. “Why Do So Many Women Wear So Much Makeup?” The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 28 Apr. 2014. Web. 17 Nov. 2014

Louis, Catherine Saint. “Up the Career Ladder, Lipstick In Hand.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 12 Oct. 2011. Web. 18 Nov. 2014

Katie Stuke

Georgetown

Lacey Henry

Georgetown