The LBD: A Staple for all Shapes and Occasions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Made famous by Coco Chanel and elegantly donned by Audrey Hepburn, the Little Black Dress, better known as the LBD, has become a wardrobe essential to all girls.  It can go from day to night with a quick shoe and jewelry change, and can make you the envy of every girl at any party.  As college girls strapped for money, our wardrobes must be measured by quality rather than quantity, which makes staples like an LBD invaluable.  With the option to dress it up or dress it down, purchasing the perfect little black dress is an investment you can’t go wrong with.  And not to worry girls!  The simple silhouette makes it stunning on all shapes, so whether you have Kim Kardashian curves or those killer Blake Lively legs there is a little black dress just waiting to be worn by you.

Pear Shaped:

Splurge: Victoria’s Secret Add- 2- Cups Bra Top Dress $98

Save: LuLu’s Rose in Your Teeth Black Dress $40

If you have a pear shape, look for a dress that shows off your shoulders and flows from the waist down.  Halter-top and A-Line dresses are perfect for this and give you a more proportionate look by accentuating your shoulders and trimming your hips.

[pagebreak]

Hourglass:

Splurge: French Connection Body-Conscious Dress $117.52 

Save: ASOS Mini Body-Conscious Dress with Long Sleeves $35.08

If you have the oh-so-desired hourglass shape, search for dresses that emphasize your proportionate body.  Bodycon dresses look great and adding a V-neck would help elongate your shape and narrow your waist and legs.

[pagebreak]

Full-Figured:

Splurge: Joie Pollini Silk Faux-Wrap Dress $143.20

Save: ASOS Wrap Dress With Belt $52.62

Full-figured ladies: flaunt those curves with a wrap dress.  Wrap dresses are perfect for hiding those problem areas while hugging your waistline and shoulders-making them appear slimmer!

[pagebreak]

Petite:

Splurge: Stretta Hanah Ottoman Tube Dress $87

Save: American Apparel Cotton Spandex Jersey Too-Short Tube Dress $32 

Petite girls should look for dresses that show off their small frame and killer shoulders.  Tube dresses work well for this, or any dress that hits above the knee in order to make those legs seen.

So there it is girls- an LBD for every shape and size.  Each of these dresses can be dressed down with flats and minimal makeup, or dressed up with black pumps and some hot jewelry.  Next time you’re searching for the perfect outfit just throw on a black dress and you’ll be sure to have a great night.

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!