John DeGioia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

This week Georgetown’s president, John DeGioia, was named one of the Brave Thinkers of 2012 by The Atlantic. DeGioia is the 48th president of Georgetown University, and the first president who was not trained in the seminary. 

The Atlantic chose to honor John DeGioia because of his commitment to the “free exchange of ideas.” They highlighted DeGioia’s commitment to both the religious and scholastic aims of the university.

We can all recall when Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke testified before Congress in favor of the Affordable Care Act, particularly the stipulation that all health-care plans provide free contraception, even those provided by religiously affiliated institutions like Georgetown. In the midst of media criticism, and name calling, John DeGioia spoke in Fluke’s defense urging people to respect everyone’s right to voice their opinions – even if they went against the Church’s message. 

DeGioia’s commitment to open discourse and a community of acceptance are what make him one of the Brave Thinkers of 2012 and this week’s Campus Celebrity! 

Read the full article from The Atlantic HERE

Photo Source: 
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09705wr9oF9Uz/520x.jpg

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!