An Inside Scoop On The Hilltoss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

On opening day at Hilltoss, a line of students extended past the door to get a taste of the newest member of the Corp’s extremely successful and diverse family of services. For those unfamiliar with The Corp, the company boasts the title of the largest student run organization in the world, gaining revenue from 6 storefronts on the Hilltop, alongside several other services such as catering and print design. Joining the ranks of coffee shops and convenience stores comes The Corp’s most dynamic endeavor yet, The Hilltoss.

Recently, I sat down with one of The Hilltoss’ dedicated employees, freshman Bayard Bergmann, to discuss the new space and his experience with The Corp so far. “I think students will appreciate the accessibility of delicious, healthy food right here on campus,” says Bergmann, “Georgetown students keep fit and eat right, and we’re here to offer them affordable and exciting dietary options to align with that lifestyle.” The new store will offer signature and custom salads, healthy snacks, and beverages. They anticipate broadening their menu to include fun and affordable options for a college budget, like fro-yo and smoothies, by Spring 2015. Bergmann raved about the incredible new kitchen built for their use and gave insight into the professionalism of the new service, stating that employees underwent a certification process with the US government in order to handle and serve food. Bergmann stressed the delectability of the salads, recommending the “Taos,” and describing it as “southwestern”; constructed with mixed greens, kale, tortilla chips, black beans, corn, chicken, green onions, and spicy chipotle dressing.

Although The Corp invests in all fresh ingredients for their salads, Hilltoss prices will compete neck-and-neck, if not beat, those of M Street rival ‘Sweetgreen’. The major advantage the Hilltoss holds over Sweetgreen lies in their location, although this very location situates them almost too-close-for-comfort with our beloved dining hall. Bergmann commented on the close proximity to Leo’s by saying that “the quality and taste of Hilltoss salads will so far surpass the Leo’s salad bar that we don’t anticipate any issues.” Bergmann also expressed some choice words for Hoya Court’s ‘Salad Creations’, implying that the chain restaurant’s presence on campus isn’t on the cards when Hilltoss “corpies” discuss their competitors.

The opening of The Hilltoss constitutes a thrilling moment for those who have been working on the project for the years since its inception. Bergmann fondly recalled the hard work of his supervisors, letting slip, “The two general managers didn’t sleep for days leading up to the grand opening. This is the most monumental and exciting part of their college careers.” Bergmann expressed his excitement to visit the storefront ten years from now, and visit the spot where his name (and those of his co-workers) graces the wall as part of the inaugural work force.