Hoya Beats: Breakup Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Valentine’s Day is officially over which means all of the sappy love poems are no longer of use, the glittery pink and red outfits can now make their way back to the depths of our closets, and the dozens of chocolate strawberries and candy hearts have now fully disappeared because well…we ate them all. Cupid has officially left the building and while some of us might love that, others may be a tad disappointed that the day of love came and went so quickly. Maybe the departure of Valentine’s Day reminds some of us about former loves, past relationships, or even bleak, current situations with “that guy.” Maybe the holiday brought about a break-up that we never saw coming, shocking even Cupid himself. Whatever situation you may find yourself in, it’s time to shift gears from the lovey-dovey romances of Feb. 14th, and to embrace the struggles of the broken hearted.

Here is a list of ten breakup songs that can help you cry, scream, laugh, or get over whoever broke your heart because, lets face it, we all need a little help from Gotye from time to time.

1. Somebody that I Used to Know by Gotye: Any song that has the lyric “now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over” must be on this list. If you have a guy who turned into a completely different person during your relationship and/or breakup this is probably the most relatable song for you. Yes, it is a classic cliché and you probably know all of the words, but no one can deny how great it feels to belt out the lyrics at the top of your lungs while you are driving in your car…or in the shower…or walking to class. You catch my drift.

Listen: Here

[pagebreak]

2. Never Again by Kelly Clarkson: Perhaps another girl snatched away your man or maybe he is just starting to get cozy in the dating world. Either way, this song is for all those who are pissed and angry and done with that good-for-nothing heart breaker and want the whole world to know it. Never again, ladies, never again!

Listen: Here 

[pagebreak]

3. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morrissette: Similar to our girl Kelly, Alanis embraces the anger that we all experience at one point during a breakup. This is the song you blast in your room when no one is home and punch your pillow a zillion times (picturing the head of that jerk, of course).

Listen: Here 

[pagebreak]

4. Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars: Shifting tones here this song is slow, beautiful, and a tad depressing. Nevertheless, we all need that one tearjerker to get us going because sometimes crying is the best thing we can do. You might remember this one from the movie Something Borrowed and you most likely cried during that scene too. Let the waterworks begin!

Listen: Here

[pagebreak]

5. Where Are You Now by Mumford & Sons: I think we can all agree that Mumford is amazing and that many of their songs are relatable following a breakup. “Where Are You Now” is one of those deep songs that taps into how you really feel and tugs at those heartstrings.

Listen: Here

[pagebreak]

6. Someone Like You by Adele: Another classic, but totally effective breakup song. This is perfect for almost any situation and will give you the right amount of motivation to move on and find another man. Remember, there are plenty of fish in the sea!

Listen: Here

[pagebreak]

7. Bad Religion by Frank Ocean: This is a great song for the one situation that none of us ever want to find ourselves in: unrequited love. With Frank’s beautiful voice, it is a great choice to listen to as you sit alone in your dorm, with headphones in, contemplating life and how much it sucks sometimes.

Listen: Here

[pagebreak]

8. Skinny Love by Birdy: Probably one of the most depressing songs ever, but if you are just in one of those moods, it is amazing. Birdy’s voice is enchanting in this Bon Iver cover, and with the piano in the background, you won’t be able to find a more appropriate breakup song.

Listen: Here

[pagebreak]

9. Marvin’s Room by Drake and/or JoJo: Self-explanatory, especially if there is another girl in the picture…

Listen: Here 

[pagebreak]

Any Taylor Swift song: Let’s face it, whether you like her or not, the girl knows her breakups. If you are in a sad, angry, or over it mood, Taylor has the song for you. Some of my personal favorites are “I Knew You Were Trouble”, “White Horse”, “Enchanted”, “Forever and Always”, “Dear John”…whichever one matches your mood!

Photo Source: 
Somebody That I Used to Know
Never Again
You Oughta Know
Poison and Wine
Where Are You Now
Someone Like You
Bad Religion
Skinny Love
Marvin’s Room
Taylor Swift 

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!