How to Write an A+ Paper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Finals season is upon students everywhere and it is time to write term papers. These five steps will, hopefully, help you craft the best essay you can.

Step One: Do Your research.

Learn about all the research and prior publications of academics in your area of interest. Find out who has already pursued a topic or avenue that you’re looking into and see how you can craft your questions in the lens in the subject matter. This will ensure an authentic feel and a unique perspective, not mimicking prior articles.

Step Two: Write a Literature Review. 

After you’ve compiled all the research you can find, you need to summarize it and condense it into one cohesive area of your paper. A literature review should explain what the subject matter is and who has already examined it. In this section, you will define key terms and cite which academics are prominent in that particular area of study. You need to make your questions readily understood and easily available, this way your professor does not have to search for your hypothesis or inquiries. The reader should be able to see the answers, clearly, throughout the rest of the paper.

Step Three: Organize Your Paper.

Have a clear organization to the paper. Write in a manner in which the thoughts are linear so that the reader is just diving deeper into the paper and not looking for content that is scattered throughout. Organization is key to keeping the reader engaged.

Step Four: Write a Strong Conclusion.

Having a strong conclusion is also extremely important. This will be the last thing your reader sees; therefore, it has to be the strongest and most memorable. Usually this is the part in the paper where students synthesize their original introduction and reword it so that it’s just slightly different and compressed; that cannot happen in an A+ paper. The conclusion should show further questions that need to be analyzed, what the student found, and leave the reader with a sense of understanding about what the entire piece was about.

Step Five: Review Your Paper Before Submission.

Lastly, proof your work! Make sure you put your best foot forward and ensure all your words are spelled correctly and there are no comma splices anywhere.

For a Bonus Point: Print your essay on nice paper and purchase an official presentation cover.

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.