How To Travel On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

There is a widespread belief that traveling is expensive, especially international travel. People think it is a leisure and a luxury. But it doesn’t have to be. As long as you have the time, you can travel.

General Tips

To travel on a budget you might need to change your mindset. Rather than traveling to relax or get away, thinking about it as exploring. Let go of the need to overpack, follow a strict itinerary, or be pampered. Instead, enjoy the experience and the adventure.

1. Have a budget

The first step to traveling on a budget is — having a budget. Even if you don’t have a clear idea of how much you want to spend, it is a good idea to track expenses so you know how much you have spent.

2. Be flexible

The key to traveling on a budget is to be flexible. If you are tied to going to certain places, you’ll miss out on travel deals. If you must stay in a 3-star hotel, you’re not going to be able to travel cheaply. Embrace the adventure and uncertainty. 

3. Pack lightly

If you are traveling on a budget you will end up flying a low-cost airline. These airlines give you incredible deals in exchange for upcharging the most basic amenities. Save the hassle and pack lightly. Don’t buy too much stuff when you are traveling. The photographs and the memories will last longer than that knick knack from the market. 

4. Research, Research, Research

I’m a firm believer that you can travel to any country cheaply, but let’s be real, some countries will be cheaper than others. If you have a goal of spending $50 a day, you’ll be able to do so much easier in the Czech Republic than in Denmark. Make sure you research the places you are thinking about and be realistic about costs.

Transportation

1. Skyscanner 

If you’re looking for cheap flights you have to use Skyscanner. They aggregate flights from a bunch of different sources so you can find the cheapest or most convenient. If you are really looking to travel, but don’t care where you go, their “Everywhere” option is key. When I plan my trips in Europe I use that option to find the cheapest flights and plan my trip that way, rather than picking specific destinations. 

Pro-tip: If you want to go somewhere in Europe the trick is to buy the cheapest flight from the States to any country in Europe. Then buy a flight within Europe to your destination. You’ll save a ton of money using this method than flying direct. 

2. Low cost airlines

Low cost airlines are the budget traveler’s best friend. But it’s important to know what makes them low cost. With Ryanair you can get flights for less than $20. The caveat is that you are flying into smaller airports, sometimes in adjacent towns. Also, you have to pay for checked bags – so travel lightly! 

3. Trains/buses

I once got into a discussion about whether flying or taking the train is more convenient. I argued that flying was better because it was quicker. My friend rightly pointed out that trains were better because you didn’t have to spend time getting to the airport, going through security, and waiting for the flight. Plus, train stations are generally in the city center. So in sum, trains and buses are great cheap transportation options. 

4. Public transportation

Public transportation is amazing pretty much everywhere outside of DC/the States. Download an app, screenshot Google Maps directions, or do whatever you need to do to make yourself comfortable using public transportation. Your wallet will thank you. 

Lodging

1. Hostels

I am a huge advocate for staying in hostels. Particularly if you are traveling solo, hostels are a great low-cost option for lodging. Depending on the hostel, you get to befriend other travelers, go on organized activities, and maybe even get fed breakfast or dinner. The key is finding the right hostel. I have some general rules I go by when choosing my hostels but the — is knowing your comfort zone. If you are okay with staying in a 10 bed mixed gender dorm, by all means do it – you’ll save a ton of money. If you aren’t sure, it’s fine spending it bit more so you can be more comfortable. 

2. AirBnB

AirBnB is another great option for low-cost lodging. You can potentially meet some locals, or stay in your own room for a good rate. 

Sightseeing

1. Free walking tours

One thing that quickly becomes apparent after traveling a bit is that there are free walking tours in most major cities. Sandemans is probably the biggest name out there, but in every major metropolitan area you go to, you should be able to find at least one walking tour. These tour guides are knowledgable and enthusiastic about sharing their city with you. 

2. Student Discounts at Museums

In DC we are spoiled with being able to go to so many great museums for free. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case in most cities. However many museums will offer a student discount if you show your ID. So if you are unsure about bringing your ID when you travel – do it. 

3. Research

Simply searching “Free things to do in [city]” will result in pages of ideas. Plus, most of the suggestions will take you off the beaten path and show a different side of the city than most people see. It’s a great way to more fully explore a city and will result in fun stories and amazing memories.  

Food

1. Streetfood

Street food is a staple in cities all over the world. You can get cheap eats, while getting exposed to the local culture. 

2. Local Eats

Another way to find cheap food is the avoid eating in the touristy areas. Those areas are known for high priced items meant to trap tourists who may not want to take the effort to find other places to eat. Search for neighborhood spots, or do some research beforehand. 

3. Cook

I know the last thing you want to do on vacation is probably cooking. But if you are really looking to save money, this is your best option. If your hostel or AirBnb has a kitchen, take advantage of it. Pack a lunch, or cook dinner. Plus, you can have a fun time trying to figure out what your grocery staples are called in a different language.   

Sarah Guan

Georgetown