How to Survive Growing Out Bangs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

People often say cutting bangs is a difficult decision, but that’s not really true.  There are plenty of reasons to get bangs: you just went through a tough breakup and you need a change, you’re searching for a new look or, if you’re me, you’re 16 and you’ve decided that you “just can’t” with your forehead anymore. Whatever the reason, cutting bangs is simple and possible in under ten minutes.  Growing them out, unfortunately, is another story.

When you’ve had serious fringe for a while it can be hard to admit there’s a problem.  For me, it took about six months of static, stress, and bobby pins to realize I just wasn’t happy with my bangs anymore.  Breaking out the straightener every morning was making me late to class, and I hadn’t seen my entire face at once since 2011.  So in December I put away my scissors, bought some hairspray, and settled in for a long winter.

Growing out your bangs requires a few resources: a reliable headband, a set of nondescript clips, a powerful dry shampoo/hairspray, and a lot of patience.  You’ll need to leave extra time in the morning to pin them up or twist them back.

Be prepared to change your part, especially if you typically part your hair in the center.  When you split your bangs they won’t usually part in the middle, so adjusting the rest of your hair around them will create a more natural look.  Make sure you part your hair correctly when it’s still wet, rather than letting it fall normally and trying to change the part later; this is the only way to make the back lie flat.

Also be prepared for a weird ponytail situation for a month or two.  At first your bangs will be in the way; when they finally get long enough to actually stay in the hairband, they’ll stick straight up and make you look insane.  Twisting these extra ends into a piece from the ponytail and wrapping that around the band will help.

Finally, you need to stay strong!  As tempting as it is to go back to your old ways of trimming, one slip-up will erase months of effort.  One good way to do this is by straightening your bangs out tracking your progress through pictures a few times a month.  Reminding yourself how far your bangs have come will erase the need to cut them again.

Maddi Kaigh

Georgetown