“Have You Tried This?”: Women Helping Women Change the Ratio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It is no surprise that there are more men sitting around conference tables than there are women. But with all of us kicking our butts off here at Georgetown, this fact just does not seem fair. So how do we change the dynamics for women in the workplace?

Levo League has one answer. Levo League is an online resource intended to create a community like-minded women and to provide young professionals with the resources needed to achieve their career dreams. Whether you want to work in the world of fashion or finance, Levo League can cater to all your career questions. With weekly career-related articles, opportunities to participate in mentorship chats with top business women in all fields, and access to search jobs at select companies, this online tool is a one-stop shop! Last Wednesday, two representatives from Levo spoke to a group of female students from freshmen to seniors about their website and how it works. Here is what we learned. 

Mentoring: Levo has created a community dedicated to mentorship. Levo believes that the best way to change the dynamics of the workplace is to join forces with other women. Every week you can tune in to listen to some top career experts or get business advice from people currently trying to navigate their careers as well. These mentorship sessions include advice on how to improve your resume, strengthen job related skills, interview advice and more. The point of these mentorship opportunities is that “We’re All in This Together,” to use a cheesy High School Musical quote, and by sharing our experiences we can all be game-changers.

Resume Writing: In addition to providing career advice to young, professional women, Levo has recently launched its first app to help you build, edit, and share your resume. You can enter in your education, work experience, skills, and contact information and the app will help you build a resume. Resumes are a work in progress as we all know, and this app allows you to easily update your information, tweak your material, and create different versions of your resume for different employers. If you find the resume writing process confusing and difficult, downloading this app is a perfect way to begin streamline and strengthen your resume.

Local Communities: In order to maintain their commitment to community, Levo has also local communities in over 20 different cities both here in the US and overseas. These communities strive to foster a “girlfriend” atmosphere where you can meet other professional women in your city, share advice, and learn about different career opportunities available in the city. And these events are often super fun! Next weekend Local Levo DC is having an event called #NetWORKOUT where members can participate in a dance trance class at Fairmont Balance Gym.

To get involved in the Levo community go to www.levo.com and sign up! Once you are a member you have access to all mentorship opportunities and you are welcome into any of the local Levo communities. Finally, you can immediately download the resume writing app, Levo Resume, and start working on creating or updating your resume!

As a native to New York City, I pride myself in my cosmopolitan upbringing. At a very young age I was exposed to the best of art, fashion, health, and food. Some of my favorite things to do in the city are to shop in Soho and the Greenwich Village, try new restaurants in Tribeca, and splurge on some of my favorite workout classes like SoulCycle and Pilates. However a perfect day for me would be to hang out with my family at our summer house in upstate New York, making dinners and watching football. At Georgetown, I am majoring in English and minoring in Business, with an interest in pursuing a possible marketing or public relations career. In my ideal world, I would graduate from Georgetown and work for SoulCycle, a boutique indoor cycling studio that combines both mind and body into a full-body workout (it is also a dance party on a bike), for the first half of my career, and then start my own boutique interior design and home good magazine with my sisters. In this sense, I love writing for Her Campus because it allows me to share my interest in health, fitness, and art with a community of like-minded women.