The GU“eye”de: The Georgetown University Guide to Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Makeup may sometimes seem daunting or confusing because there is just so much that you need to know. There are so many new trends and different techniques concerning eye makeup that once in a while it’s good to get back to basics. Here are some tips and tricks for the everyday college girl:

Types of Eye Shadows
Cream – smooth and pigmented, a must have for easy application. If you have oily eyelids avoid this formulation. If your eyelids are dry this might be best for you!
Gel – Usually comes in a tube and is lightweight/not too pigmented. This one definitely isn’t as popular, but if you want a light wash of color this should be good for you!
Powder – the most basic/popular form of eye shadow, and the one that you most likely own. Powdered shadows are the best for blending different colors together, along with gradually building up a shadow in color and intensity.

Types of Eye Liner
Gel – this liner is the best way to get a defined line. Try using it with a slanted eyeliner brush and apply on your upper lashline as either a thin line or winged liner. Maybelline has a great inexpensive version!
Pencil – the most basic form of eyeliner. Comes in multiple colors and finishes (glitter, metallic, plain color. Use pencil liner for lining the waterline and inner corner. Try smudging it along the lower lashline and the upper lashline or just lining along the roots of the lashes for definition. Kohl is another form of pencil liner, but it is INCREDIBLY pigmented. If you want a smoldering look go for this formulation. Stila sells my favorite version of this liner.

[pagebreak]

Small eyes:
If you have small eyes, here are two basic tips to open them up:
Use minimum makeup. Apply a light color on the lid and a darker color in the crease.
 To make eyes appear larger highlight with a shimmery flesh-toned shadow on the inner corners, browbone, and the space where the outer ends of your lashes meet. Line your waterline with a flesh-toned liner too!

Large eyes:
If you have larger eyes:
Use darker colors on the whole lid and crease. Since your lids are bigger they can pull off these looks without looking excessive.
To make eyes appear smaller line your waterline and inner corner with a black, grey, brown or dark eyeliner.

More voluminous lashes:
Bump up your lashes with these easy tips:
When applying mascara rotate and wiggle the wand at the same time.
Don’t pump the wand into the mascara, because the increased oxygen flow will dry out the formula.
Line your “upper waterline”, the space underneath your upper lashes with black eyeliner and tightline your lashes (line the roots of your upper lashes) to make lashes appear thicker.

The Right Colors for Your Eyes:
bronze: universal
brown eyes: bronze, golds, browns, taupe, peach, blue, brown and purple
green eyes: mossy green, bronze, brown, light beige to dark chocolate, purple
hazel eyes: neutral tones such as brown, gold, lavender, khaki, but hazel eyes can wear almost any color
blue eyes: bronzey-orange, grey, deep blue, silver, warm hues to compete with eye color such as rosy gold

[pagebreak]

Application

Applying primer on the lid. 

[pagebreak]

Applying a lid color   

[pagebreak]

Applying a crease color. 

[pagebreak]

Applying eyeliner

[pagebreak]

Applying mascara

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.