Five Ways to Wear Fall’s Most Popular Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

You’re eight years old walking around the mall with your Mom and you see it in the window of The Gap.  The jean jacket.  Everyone at school has one and you’ve been waiting to finally get one so you can throw it over your ruffled skirt and collared shirt.  Luckily, you go in and they have your size so you immediately buy it, put it on, and see how your outfit is transformed instantly.  This jean jacket, your new favorite staple, stays with you for a few years, but then it’s suddenly out of style and banished to the back of your closet.  However, if you’ve secretly always wanted to break out your favorite jean jacket you’re now in luck because denim jackets are back and taking over.  They’re the perfect accessory to add to any outfit, whether you want to dress down a dress for class, or add a little flair to your routine black leggings and oversized white tee.  And with the childhood nostalgia that’s been going around making  ’90’s themed parties the new go-to theme, denim jackets are a necessity when creating a last minute outfit.  Fashion trends never completely die, instead they’re always coming back and this year is the comeback of the denim jacket.  So do a little digging and find that jacket that defined your elementary school self, but not worry, we’ve got you covered on ways to wear it in style today, as a mature, fashionable collegiette. 

Wear it Over a Maxi

The maxi dress is one of my favorite summer trends.  It can be a little dressier than the usual sundress, but just casual enough to wear to class or a trip to the monuments on a nice day.  Yet, as summer is coming to a close and the chillier days of fall are beginning to emerge, the days of wearing a maxi are slipping away.  Of course the versatile jean jacket offers a solution to this problem though.  Throw your favorite denim jacket over your maxi that you aren’t ready to part with just yet and you’ve transformed your go-to summer style into a chic fall outfit.  The jean jacket will dress down a cute maxi for class and keep you warm in the breezy weather.

Wear It With a Cute Skirt

Similar to the maxi, skirts can be questionable fall attire.  Does a flowy maxi skirt still work in the fall?  What about a high-waisted printed flair skirt?  The answer is yes, as long as you accessorize correctly.  This means pairing the flowy maxi skirt with an oversized sweater, or the shorter printed skirt with some short-heeled booties.  Yet, pair either with a jean jacket and you have yourself another stylish fall outfit.  Once again, a jean jacket can dress down this look if you’re worried about looking too dressy for class in a skirt, and it will keep you warm and in season so you don’t look like you’re still stuck in the sunny days of August as the calendar is slowly changing to October.

[pagebreak]

Wear it Over a Sundress

In keeping with our transition from summer to fall style, jean jackets can make the same transformations to sundresses as they do to maxi dresses and skirts.  Not all dresses scream summer, so you can get away with wearing a dress on its own, but sometimes a jacket is nice when the weather drops below 60.  A denim jacket is a chic way to keep you warm in the shady areas of campus walking to class, or in the highly air-conditioned ICC Auditorium.  And if you happen to be worried once again about crossing the line and trying too hard by wearing a dress, throw on a jean jacket and you have achieved the perfect casual-chic fall outfit.

Wear It With Colored Pants

A chambray shirt worn with colored pants is a classic combo, but if you want to stray from your usual pick try a neutral top with a jean jacket.  Denim goes with every color, and the neutral top will keep your outfit from becoming too busy.  This easy, simple outfit is perfect for cool fall day, and the effortlessness of it keeps you comfortable but stylish at the same time.

Wear It With Black Leggings

Every college girl’s favorite outfit involves a pair of black leggings.  As much as we love the warmth of summer, we can’t deny that we’re not secretly looking forward to the days when we can just roll out of bed, put on our comfiest pair of leggings and oversized tee, and head to class.  Although there’s no denying the comfort of this look, it’s important to make sure you don’t get sucked into the cycle of tees and leggings everyday.  In order to keep this look fashionable, try a jean jacket instead of a sweater or sweatshirt.  The jean jacket keeps it comfortable, but you’re still making a fashion statement while dressing up your casual look.

Gone are the days when girls would be scoffed at for wearing a jean jacket in high school.  Jean jackets are back in action with no end in sight.  So, take a trip down memory lane and head over to The Gap or American Eagle and pick up what is sure to be your new favorite fall staple.  With so many wearable options, a jean jacket is a necessity in the closet of every college girl.