The Entrepreneurial Spirit at Georgetown: North by South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Hey there Her Campus readers, looking for a classy but comfortable update to your summer wardrobe? Chances are recent Georgetown grad Matt Aronson (COL ’15) has the perfect product for you. As a junior, Aronson was inspired by the entrepreneurial spirit on Georgetown’s campus (think LuLu’s Nitrogen Ice Cream), and began to dream up a product of his own.  A Greensboro, NC native, Aronson perceived a market at Georgetown for a tee-shirt that blends the “laid-back luxury of the south with cutting edge, classy feel of the north”.

Although he had no intention of starting a business when entering Georgetown as a freshman, Aronson now owns and runs a fully operational company: North by South. This is no surprise from an Econ major and Business Administration minor, but is nonetheless an exciting accomplishment, especially as the company continues to expand. North by South products are sold entirely online and include Men’s and Ladies tees. The tops come in a wide range of colors, and feature a patterned or color-contrasting pocket on the breast. Aronson is also working on the development of more options in the way of tanks, button-downs, and long-sleeve shirts. The tops are fully customizable and as such are perfect for sorority or fraternity bulk orders. True to the name, the tops are experiencing success on college campuses across the country—the North and the South—as well as, interestingly enough, from international markets. 

Are you interested in starting your own business during your time at Georgetown? Aronson shared with us some of the greatest challenges he faced, some tips, and the most rewarding parts of the experience for him. As a senior applying to jobs external to his project, Aronson found that the greatest challenge he faced was the balancing act oh-so familiar to college students. While juggling job apps, a Georgetown course-load, and other extracurriculars, finding time to start and run a company was no easy feat. However, he claims that by keeping an open mind and “learning on the fly” helped him be successful. He bounced ideas off his roommates, met with his professors to seek their advice and opinion, and tried to apply the skills he learned in his business classes practically. Although his project consumes massive amounts of his free-time, Aronson would do it all over again because he finds owning his own company and watching it grow fun! 

We can’t wait to see where Matt and North by South head in the future. Check out his products before heading back to the hilltop at the end of this month!  http://northbysouthapparel.com/

S Katherine

Georgetown