Enjoying Some Craic While Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

“Did you have good crack last night?” My jaw dropped. Actually hit the floor.

I couldn’t even pretend to know what was going on during this conversation with my Irish friend. Crack?! What had I gotten myself into in Dublin?

As it turns out, “crack,” or “craic,” is one of the only surviving Gaelic words used in everyday language in Ireland. Defined as entertainment or good fun, “craic” is used in almost every conversation in Ireland. To say that I was relieved when I learned this is an understatement.

While the national language in Ireland is Gaelic, the first and only language spoken in most Irish homes is English.  With this in mind, I thought the biggest differences in Irish “English” and American “English” boiled down to calling potato chips  “crisps,” referring to friends as “mates,” and calling the television, the “teli.”  Needless to say, this has not exactly been the case.

Culture shock is definitely a huge part of studying abroad, even in English speaking countries.  This is not a negative aspect of the experience, rather it is just what it claims to be: a shock.  Even when the predominant language spoken is English, you are still in foreign land.  It can be a little intimidating and overwhelming at first at first (I’ll admit I took a nap after wandering the baffling grocery store aisles for the first time), but this shock is one of the most exciting and defining parts of living abroad.

I have learned an incredible amount about the Irish culture since I’ve been here. The Irish ooze charm, and are more than happy to give me the scoop on everything from the best shops, cafes, pubs, and of course, craic. Everyone, from my Irish friends in class, to the little grandmother who lives next door, and the elderly gentleman we met on the side of the road in the Irish countryside (yes, that is how friendly the Irish are – you actually stop to chat with people on the side of the road), have provided invaluable advice on how to live as the Irish live while in Dublin.

The best part of experiencing culture shock is not discovering another culture though, but rather, the self-discovery that comes with that.  It may sound strange that living amongst an entire population so different from you can teach you about yourself, but it is true. Living abroad provides the opportunity to see how you fit into another culture, and with that, comes a recognition and even appreciation as you discover ways in which you do not fit in. I have never felt as comfortable in my own skin as I have during my time here in Dublin.  I can only hope that I am able to secure this feeling and bring it back to Georgetown.

So don’t let the English-speaking programs fool you when you are deciding where to study abroad, but also don’t be scared. Embrace the shock of stepping out of your comfort zone and allow yourself to be consumed by the culture of wherever you are, and if you have already studied abroad or are studying abroad right now, bottle up the memories and emotions that culture shock has allowed you to experience. After all, it’s all in good craic.