Dining in the District: Union Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It is all too easy to get stuck in the Georgetown “bubble” and forget about all the different things to explore in D.C.  This weekend I ventured down to Union Market located on 5th Street between New York Avenue and Florida Avenue.

Union Market is D.C.’s newest food hall. It opened in early fall of 2012 and has been buzzing ever since. It even looks like there is still more room for it to grow with a few empty vendor stations in the market. As of now there are 18 different vendors along with additional pop-up vendors, all specializing in different cuisines and food options.  Sometimes popular D.C. food trucks will set up shop outside at the market for the day.

As far as the vendors, there is D.C. Empanadas, known for their delicious empanadas. I tried the Speedy Gonzalez empanada filled with queso blanco, asaedero cheese and mozzarella cheese. I definitely recommend it, especially if you want just a light snack. There is also Takorean, which has a food truck that has visited Georgetown, and specializes in Korean barbeque-inspired tacos and bowls.  I tasted the Bulgogi Steak taco – definitely a must try. Buffalo Bergen sells knishes, New York bagels and all different flavored cream sodas. Curbside Cupcakes selling all things cake, such as cupcakes, cake bites and cake pops. I bought s’mores cake bites and I cannot wait to taste them. Then there is Trickling Springs Creamery selling ice cream in both hard packed and soft served styles in a variety of flavors. The milkshakes at Tricking Springs Creamery looked heavenly topped with lots of fresh whipped cream. There are also different fruit stands, a knife sharpening station run by DC Mobile Sharpening and Salt & Sundry, a home goods store with lots of cute bohemian printed cups, plates and napkins. Finally, Salt & Sundry is a must if you are looking up to spruce up your kitchen.  

Some of the vendors have seating with plenty of tables and chairs and if you want to try food from a few vendors. On a Saturday afternoon, the market is a popular place for lots of people eating lunch or picking up food for the weekend. It is the perfect place to grab a coffee on a Sunday afternoon and roam around the market, pick up lunch with friends or have an afternoon snack.

To find out more about Union Market and new vendor openings visit: http://unionmarketdc.com/

Jordan Muto

Georgetown

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!