Danish Diaries: Top 10 Reasons to Study Abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

1) Denmark is consistently ranked as the happiest country in the world

It doesn’t take very long to realize why Danish people are so happy. Unlike the high-Intensity, high-pressure society we are accustomed to in the U.S, in Denmark people slow down and enjoy the moment. People here realize that life is about doing what makes you happy and surrounding yourself with people you love. Even though I have only been here about one month, I can confidently say I absolutely love this city and their outlook on life.

2)  Cycling in Copenhagen

There are 40,000 more bikes than citizens in Copenhagen. The biking culture is one of the most unique features of the city and without a doubt one of my favorite aspects. Besides the benefit of exercise, I bike to school most mornings because I love to listen to music, clear my thoughts, and relax. Considering practically the entire city, including the majority of the Danish parliament, commute by bike, I’m not alone in my belief that the best way to see the city is on two wheels.

[pagebreak]

3)  The People and Culture

The Danes are a rare breed, perfect. It seems like every Danish person is somehow intelligent, fashion-forward, and incredibly physically fit, all at once. Even more importantly than outward appearances, I have found that every Danish person I meet is warm and genuine.

One of my favorite aspects of Danish culture is the concept of Hygge. Although it does not translate directly, it basically means cozy. Hygge is the feeling you get when you enjoy great conversation with a friend, a delicious family meal by candlelight, or a hot cup of tea on a cold winter day.  Hygge is comfort and warmth.

4)  Danish Style

While walking the streets of Copenhagen I have to actively restrain myself from stopping every girl to ask where she shops. Even on bikes, everyone is so trendy and put together all the time. Danish style is very simple and sleek yet casual and cool. People generally wear a lot of dark colors, scarves, and awesome Nikes. Wearing a dress and sneakers may sound like a look you pulled off in elementary school, but when Danish people do it, it works.

One of my favorite hobbies here is flea market shopping. I am obsessed with everything Danish and find myself continuously stepping out of my comfort zone with new looks. A lot of my inspiration comes from Danish fashion bloggers; one of my favorites is Emily Salomon.

[pagebreak]

5)  DIS Program (Danish Institute Study-abroad)

One of the most central aspects of my study abroad experience is my program. As a business student I have gained more real-world experience here by working with and visiting real companies than I did in my first four semesters of college. All of my classes are genuinely interesting and so relevant.

Outside of the classroom, dis works diligently to ensure our experience is as well rounded and as positive as possible. We do not have classes on Wednesdays and instead take field studies to various museums, companies, and other cultural venues. Additionally, every student gets two full travel weeks, a short study tour with their core course near Denmark and a weeklong study tour to various other countries. I am ecstatic to be going to Paris with my class, European business strategy.

6) There is so much to do!

As soon as I realized how much there is to do in Copenhagen, I vowed to never pass up on an opportunity and make the most of my experience. Two of my favorite sites are the famous amusement park Tivoli, which inspired Walt Disney to design Disney Land and the quintessential Copenhagen harbor Nyhavn. (New Harbour)

Besides many museums and castles, Tourists can climb the winding steps of the Church of our savior tower and have a view of the whole city. Finally,there is a freetown called Christiania that was once a military base but now operates under its own law as a self-proclaimed autonomous neighborhood in the middle of the city.

[pagebreak]

7) Livability

Studying abroad is very exciting but can also be a culture shock for many students. I have yet to feel even a tinge of homesickness because this city is such a manageable size and very livable. The metro and bus system is very clean, safe and easy to use.

Even more importantly, literally everyone speaks English. The fact that I can always ask for help is such a comfort and allows me to be more adventurous and spontaneous. Unlike many other European cities, theft and crime is not a major concern in Copenhagen. It certainly occurs on occasion but I do not have the constant worry of pickpockets, like in other cities.

8) Access To Travel

Even though Denmark is amazing, I want to use this opportunity to see other European countries as well. Luckily, the metro runs directly into the airport, which is the largest in the region, and is about 15 minutes from the city center

During my four months here I will have visited Oslo, Stockholm, Munich, Rome, Venice, Florence, Amsterdam, Prague, Paris, Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, and hopefully Budapest. Above is a picture of the cruise ship I took with about 100 other students from my program to Oslo, Norway for a weekend.

[pagebreak]

9) Danish Food

Anyone who knows me could probably tell you about my obsession with coffee…I wouldn’t be surprised if Saxby’s is seeing a dip in their revenue strictly from my absence. As a connoisseur, I can assure you the coffee in Denmark, and Europe in general, is amazing. There are café’s everywhere that offer outdoor seating and warm blankets on all of the chairs.

While I am big on coffee, most people would probably rave about the Danishes and bakeries. They are all around the city and have the most amazing bread, croissants, and desserts you will ever have.

10) Nightlife

Copenhagen is a young, vibrant city and there is always something going on. The trendy meatpacking district is a spot for hipsters and locals and offers a variety of unique bars and interesting crowds. Besides this, there are bars devoted specifically to wine and some that don’t have a menu so you must order based off your own knowledge. Luckily DIS offers a wine tasting class that meets weekly at night.

The drinking age here is 18 and there is also no open container law so you can enjoy an ice-cold Carlsberg as you walk the streets or wine on a boat tour around the canal. At first it felt bizarre to have a beer with my professor but now I wouldn’t think twice about it.  

For those of you too nervous to step out of your comfort zone, every Tuesday night a huge crowd of DIS students goes to a bar called Kulor bar (pictured on the left) And yes…there is a rhino bar in Copenhagen, now you have no excuse to stay in Georgetown!

Katie Stuke

Georgetown

Lacey Henry

Georgetown