Conquering the In-Between

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

There’s always an awkward stage in between seasons. You’re scavenging the stores for back-to-school clothes, trying to find tops to go out in and cute shorts for class, yet it seems as if all the stores have is fur vests and leather pants. These bulky, warmer fall clothes won’t work in the humid 90 degree DC weather the first month of school. So how can you apply the newest trends to weather appropriate outfits? Work with the overall theme of the latest trends, and mix and match summer items you already have!

Trend: COBALT BLUE

Fall fashions usually present a more neutral palette, but this season cobalt blue electrifies the classic hues of white, gray, brown and black. 

Fall Runway Style: 

(Images from style.com- Stella McCartney, Celine and Chanel Fall 2013)

Your Take:

Luckily bright blue is a common summer hue, so a silk top or cotton sundress in this color is not an uncommon find. Pair it with a leather skirt for an edgier transitional look, yet still in accordance with the weather. 

(From left to right: BB Dakota dress from ModCloth, WhoWhatWear image, H & M skirt and 5th & Mercer by La La dress from ShopBop)

[pagebreak]

Trend: PLAID & PUNK

It was a punk takeover on fall runways, and many designers incorporated the spikes, chains and rebellious designs into their work.

Fall Runway Style:

(Saint Laurent, Givenchy and Versace- Image from MarieClaire & ImaxTree)

Your Take:

Think “punk rock” with graphic tees and jean shorts to beat the heat, paired with gold chains or spike jewelry.

(Tumblr, Forever 21, Valentino and Christian Louboutin from net-a-porter, and Shop Bop)

[pagebreak]

Trend: ALL WHITE EVERYTHING

Long gone are the days of “no white after Labor Day”. Head-to-toe white is not only a refreshing choice during the summer, but winter white is an easy way to look chic.

Fall Runway Style:

(Derek Lam, Proenza Schouler, Tommy Hilfiger Fall 2013 image from Glamour.com, Atlantic-Pacific.com)

Your Take:

Tuck a white cotton gauze button down into white shorts paired with gladiators and sweet sunglasses for an effortlessly chic look. For an edgier look, try J. Lo’s take on the all-white trend with a halter crop top and high waisted white shorts. If you’re in need of a more formal outfit, celebrities have also been seen rocking all white on the red carpet and sporting white jumpsuits.  

(Images from stylishlyme.com, Jennifer Lopez in UsWeekly, and fabsugar.com)

[pagebreak]

Trend: FALL FLORALS

Hip hip hooray! Usually when you pull out your fall clothes, the bright floral sundresses and tops get put away until spring. But designers filled their runways with floral patterns for this fall. Think navy, rose and burnt orange floral patterns instead of bright arrangements. 

Fall Runway Style:

(Valentino, Dries Van Noten, Rochas, Thakoon Fall 2013- image from InStyle.com)

Your Take:

Aim for a darker floral pattern for the fall, but if all your summer floral items are brighter, pair with a pair of dark wash jeans or a darker top to make it fall appropriate. A floral dress with leather ankle boots is an easy way to mix summer with fall.

(Images from blog.needsupply.com and favim.com)