Chengdu Pambassadors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

If you’ve been on campus today you may have been wondering about the giant panda balloon, and the people walking around in panda suits. This panda invasion is part of the Panda Conservation Competition to become the global Chengdu Pambassador 2012. 

The Chengdu Panda Base and WildAid have partnered to support the goal of panda conservation. With only 1,600 pandas left in the wild, pandas are one of the most endangered species in the world. 

24 semi-finalists have been selected in the Pambassador program of North America through the PandaQuest competition. 

Semi-finalists will compete in a test of their panda knowledge, with an emphasis on conservation and re-introduction into the wild. There will be two days of competition events in D.C., after which four finalists will be chosen to attend the finals at the Chengdu Panda Base along with finalists from the UK, Singapore and Mainland China.

Three winners will be chosen from the global group of finalists. The Pambassadors get the opportunity to work directly with giant pandas at the Chengdu Panda Base, and will participate in the “Global Panda Conservation Tour” in 2013.

So head to campus, snap a pic, and learn a little about what you can do to help this endangered species!

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!