The Best Dressed of The Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

An awards show season filled with emotional speeches and hilarious hosts will come to a close this Sunday with the 85th Academy Awards. Perhaps as scrutinized as the nominated movies will be the dresses that the actresses seem to pull off so effortlessly, which are often breathtaking and always give us something to talk about after the actual show ends. If it were up to me, I would create my own category for best dressed. Sadly, this is not the case.  Here are the top five outfits that I would give a little gold statue to for stealing the show with sequins and lace. 

[pagebreak]

1.     As a freshman on the Oscar scene in 2011, Jennifer Lawrence wowed in a sleek, red Calvin Klein number and proved herself one of Hollywood’s newest bombshells. The minimalist nature of the dress only accentuated the young starlet even more, and she maintained the long-proven fact that matching the color of your gown with the red carpet means that you are always a winner at the end of the night. 

[pagebreak]

2.     The careful draping of lavender lace on Mila Kunis’ Elie Saab gown was nothing short of exquisite.  Paired with her stunning up-do, she made a barely-there dress look timelessly elegant. Although she was walking the Oscars red carpet for the first time in 2011 for her role as a dark ballerina, she walked it like a pro. 

[pagebreak]

3.     A painstaking amount of detail surely went into Anne Hathaway’s shimmering Armani Prive gown. The champagne-toned, strapless gown paid off in a big way as Hathaway glimmered all night at the 2009 Oscars, long before she sang “I Dreamed a Dream.” Infamous for many outfits, including the black cat suit she donned for The Dark Knight Rises, Hathaway had an element of glamour with this dress that reminded me of old-school Hollywood. The sophistication that the gown emitted brings it to the forefront of Hathaway’s long list of successes. 

[pagebreak]

4.     In the same manner in which she owned the Super Bowl this year, Beyonce has ruled the red carpet countless times. However, it was in 2005 with her luscious, velvet Atelier Versace vintage gown that B truly stole the show. Although she looks good in anything from a leather leotard to a simple white shift dress, this black velvet number, combined with her exquisite chandelier earrings and a big poof, emits the perfect combination of power and class that Beyonce has so fantastically mastered. 

[pagebreak]

5.     Although technically she was not part of the official Oscars ceremony in 2012, Miley Cyrus stunned in a long-sleeve Roberto Cavalli gown at the Vanity Fair after party. Since hanging up her Hanna Montana wig, Miley has undergone a significant, if not tumultuous, transformation. With this mermaid-style dress and fine silver detailing, she proved she could be demure as well as edgy as she emitted old Hollywood glamour. 

Sources:
Jennifer Lawrence
Mila Kunis
Anne Hathaway
Beyonce
Miley Cyrus