7 Last Minute DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Did Halloween creep up on you? Only five days away, and with all the stress of midterms, it’s easy to have forgotten to buy a costume.  Here are 7 cheap and easy DIY costume ideas to pull straight from your closet: 

1. Risky Business

Borrow a big button down from one of your guy friends or buy a cheap one from H&M, then throw on a pair of boxers with long socks and sunglasses and you’re ready to rock and roll.

2. Goth

This one is simple. Break out all black everything black. Paint your nails, do heavy make up, and temporary tattoos. Throw on your leather jacket with a pair of black jeans or leggings and a pair of black converse or boots. Extra points for fake (or real) piercings. 

3. Biker Chick

This one is very similar to goth – but with more leather. You can order a Harley Davidson t-shirt online, or any black t-shirt. Draw on “Harley Girl” or “Live to Ride” tattoos and wear some leather gloves, a bandana, and ripped jeans and you’re ready to ride. 

4. Walk of Shame

This one is fun and very easy to do. All you need is an oversized t-shirt from your pajama drawer and a skirt or dress. Carry or wear a pair of heels. Make sure to smear your make up and mess up your hair for the full effect!

5. Three Blind Mice

This is a cute group costume. Simply throw on a black dress with home made mouse ears (cardboard circles attached to a headband) and black sunglasses.  If you don’t have a third partner in crime, do it with one other person and when someone asks where the third mouse is, just say “oh no, we lost her again.”

6. Where’s Waldo

Find a red and white striped shirt from Forever 21 or H&M, throw that on with a pair of jeans and a red beanie and voila. In group pictures it’s cute to go off to the side or in the back so people have to find Waldo. 

7. Jelly Belly

If you’re feeling silly this is a really fun costume and my personal favorite. I won the crowd at my elementary school dance in this get up. You’ll need a friend to help you put it together. How to do it: blow up a bunch of colorful small balloons. Cut 4 holes in a clear garbage bag (2 for arms, 2 for legs).  Step inside the bag and fill with balloons! Tie the top by your neck (loosely) with a ribbon, and stick a Jelly Belly label on the front! 

Happy Halloween!

Meg Holden

Georgetown

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.