6 Summer Must Haves at the J.Crew Store Opening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

With the opening of a BEAUTIFUL, ginormous, amazing new J.Crew on M Street this week, it’s time to take stock and decide what our first purchases are going to be. And let me tell you, the options are vast, like overwhelmingly vast. When I casually stopped by the store last Friday evening to pick up my schedule for the coming week, I had not fully prepared myself for what I was about to experience. As I was let inside the doors that for weeks had been tempting me, I was overcome by the store in front of me (if I can even call it a store anymore). It’s actually more like a museum, a really beautiful museum that showcases fashion in all forms. From the clothes, to the jewelry, to the shoes, and the decorations in the store (which are all for sale), everything is beautiful. I digress, but hopefully I’ve gotten my point across that you HAVE to check out the new store if you appreciate the beauty of fashion at all. And when you do, you’ll have to buy something (using your 15% student discount with your GoCard of course!) So here are my five must-haves to start the summer season, as told by the J.Crew May Style Guide.

1. Something in this Technicolor “punk floral” print –  The pants may seem a bit loud, but there is a beautiful Swoop in Punk Floral dress ($178) as well as a blouse all done in a silk dupioni material. These blooms actually have their roots in old botanical books that J.Crew’s women’s designer, Tom, collected as a child. Hmm, you go Tom!

[pagebreak]

2. Tribals – Try out this pair of flats (Janey printed $228) or this short-sleeve beaded collection sweater ($228). If your bank account can’t afford to take a hit right now, go for a belt (two-tone skinny rope $29.50). These souvenir-style statement pieces have been inspired by faraway lands and will liven up any outfit you put on this summer. 

[pagebreak]

3. NEON! – From the 3” chino shorts ($45), to the crystal and neon chevron necklace ($145) to those espadrilles ($118), the bright colors are kicking and taking names. Just one of these pieces adds that perfect accent to your outfit. But, if you’re a bit more daring, you can outfit yourself entirely in these bright shades. 

[pagebreak]

4. Chinos on Chinos – Note the Indigo Dot pair in the middle ($65). While no good photos are yet available, I’m telling you these shorts are so adorable). For casual days, throw on a pair of 3” chinos and a v-neck vintage cotton tee for a cute and comfy look. Can you ever have too many pairs of chinos?

[pagebreak]

5. An Easy Dress – Whether you have a summer internship or a backyard barbeque, these dresses are really versatile. Personal stylists at J.Crew will tell you about the WTW’s of many of the pieces- Wear to Work, Wear to Weekend, and Wear to Wow. Who doesn’t like the sound of that? From sundresses to lightweight business dresses, J.Crew’s summer collection will fulfill all your dress needs. (Left, knit princess seam dress in seaside coral $128. Right, rugby stripe dress in navy $88)

[pagebreak]

6. Something Shamelessly Sparkly – The new store has way more jewelry and all of which is to die for. I’m obsessed. A statement piece of jewelry can really elevate a simple look and is a great way to incorporate color into your outfit. Hint: For lower price points, check out the necklaces not in lock-drawers, but displayed throughout the store. (In photo: color collage statement necklace $165) 

Sophomore at Georgetown University from just outside Boston, MA. I love fashion, retail therapy, smiling and hugs :)
Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!