This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

1. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Being a huge fan of Fangirl (pun intended), I wanted to read Carry On, which is the tale of Cath’s fan fiction. Simon Snow and his roommate, Baz, have a love affair while in school and battle the forces of evil. Carry On is Rowell at her best, her writings never disappoint.

P.S. If you like Carry On, then you have to read Fangirl.

Carry On available on Amazon here.

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief is a unique piece of literature, offering the reader the chance to learn about life through Death’s eyes. I love Zusak’s writing style, his descriptions, characters, and story are all well thought out and soberly executed. 

The Book Thief  available on Amazon here.

3. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

This book is a quick read, but so well written. I absolutely adored this story and the characters. Stargirl is new to Leo’s school and much like his classmates, he doesn’t know what to make of her at first. Stargirl is different to say the least; she is energetic, outgoing, nice to everyone, and thoughtful to an extreme. She will randomly start singing and leave notes for everyone on their desks. Spinelli’s story will make you laugh and cry.

Stargirl available on Amazon here.

4. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

This may be more of intense read, but the protagonist, Melinda, is such a well-developed character and the writing is so beautiful that it needed to be mentioned. Melinda’s teacher encourages her to draw and paint in order to come to terms with her emotions after a traumatizing event in her life. 

Speak  available on Amazon here.

5. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park is a YA romance that is quite entertaining and relatable. The main characters, Eleanor and Park deal with real issues. Park and his father do not have the best relationship and his multi-ethnic background makes him stand out among his classmates. Eleanor’s mother remarried a horrible man, making her home life a disaster. But, together they find a little joy.

Eleanor and Park  available on Amazon here.

Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, The Princess Bride, To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, and Shadow and Bone are all more well-known pieces that should be read, too. 

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.