5 Fun Things to Do in D.C. In the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

1.   Go Bowling

Pinstripes, 1064 Wisconsin Avenue Northwest

Talk a walk down Wisconsin Avenue with a group of friends and go bowling at Pinstripes! The lanes are open every day from morning to night (although games cost more on Friday and Saturday evenings). Not much of a bowler? No worries, Pinstripes offers bocce as well! Then, when you work up an appetite after all that bowling, dig into some casual and yummy food like chips, dips, and flatbreads. Top it off with a refreshing drink and you’ve got yourself a fun night out!

2.   Go to a Museum

One of the best things about living in D.C. is being so close to a wide variety of museums. Winter is a great time to hop on the Metro and check out one of the many free Smithsonian ones. You can visit the American Art Museum, Hishhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the National Air and Space Museum, or the Natural Museum of American History and many more without spending a dollar on entrance fees. If you want to see something a little different, try the Newseum, dedicated to decades of new stories, or the International Spy Museum, which tells the stories of spies who changed the course of history.   

3.   Try a New Brunch Spot

Georgetown is a great place for brunch. Between M Street, Wisconsin Avenue, Prospect Street, and the waterfront, the area has tons of places to try. Sequoia, located right on the Potomac, offers bottomless brunch and an all-you-can-eat buffet for $44.95 per person. After stuffing yourself with all the delicious food and drinks, you’ll completely forget about the steep price tag. Also on the waterfront is Farmers Fishers Bakers, which offers a variety of items for their buffet deal for $29 per person. For something on the more exotic side, try Kafe Leopold, an Austrian place tucked into Cady’s Alley right off of M Street. Feeling lazy? Walk (or Uber) half a mile to Peacock Café. Finally, go to El Centro for unlimited Mexican food and drink for only $35 per person.

4.   Go Ice Skating on the Waterfront

From mid-November until March, the fountain at the Washington Harbour on the Georgetown Waterfront turns into D.C.’s largest ice-skating rink. On Thursday nights, they offer a two-dollar discount to college students with valid college IDs for “College Night Skate”. Don’t worry if you don’t own skates; they are available for rent for five dollars. If you get cold, you can always buy a hot chocolate from a local vendor to warm up.

5.   Go to a Capitals Game

Although this option requires a little more planning, a Capitals game is an exciting way to do something new in the city and be a part of a rowdy, fun group of D.C. fans. Like the Hoyas, the Capitals play in the Verizon Center and hockey games are just as exciting, despite the temperature drop. The Capitals play at home seven times in February and eight times in March, giving you plenty of chances to find relatively inexpensive tickets and catch a game.

Olivia Berman is a freshman from Greenwich, CT. She is in the College and planning to major in Psych and Econ. In high school, she wrote for the school newspaper and a lifestyle blog. Over the summer, she works as a camp counselor. When she's not working, you can find her shopping on M Street, spinning at Soul Cycle, or swimming at Yates.