This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Who really knows when podcasts became a thing? It seemed as if one day they simply popped into existence, becoming an instant success in a matter of moments.

Podcasts are a form of talk radio for a generation of people who are prone, and partial, to streaming—though both those who are old and young can enjoy different varieties of podcasts at any time.

There are all sorts of podcasts for any sort of listener. From catching the news while listening to the latest The Daily, to hearing interviews from inanimate objects—yes, inanimate; the show is called Everything is Alive and it is quite amusing. The point is, there is no end to what types of podcasts are available.

Related: 6 Reasons to Listen to the “My Favorite Murder” Podcast

What amazes me the most about podcast industry is the number of amazing women there are with successful podcasts. Two women, in particular, have built their own podcast dynasty. 

This past Saturday, February 2, I went to a live episode of My Favorite Murder, a true crime/comedy podcast hosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. The two joked around for the first several minutes of the show, cracking jokes with one another and making their audience laugh, as they always do. From there, the two moved on to the heart of the show: re-telling stories of murder. Though this may sound gruesome, it is great for those whom are interested in true crime. Kilgariff even told the story of the urban legend, the Fairfax Bunnyman—a story local to the George Mason area.

Photo Courtesy of the Author

Aside from the comedy and true crime elements which Kilgariff and Hardstark so effortlessly bring to the table, there is something else about My Favorite Murder which keeps fans listening and loving it after three years: their sincerity. Over the years, the two women have been increasingly vulnerable and willing to share their different experiences, both their triumphs and their downfalls.

Perhaps it is because that I myself am anxious and hate being vulnerable but I find their blatant willingness to pour out their hearts to others for the sake of being so purely human is something that proves special. This is what led them having a hit podcast and building their own network, called Exactly Right.

Though Kilgariff and Hardstark are considered the queens of podcasting, let us not forget that there are many other women out there doing a kick-ass job in the podcasting industry.

Other wonderful podcasts hosted by women include:

• This Podcast Will Kill You – health and disease
  • Burn It All Down – Sports and Feminism
  • Serial – News and Politics

These are just a few which I find particularly enthralling, but there is so much more out there! You can easily find a podcast catered to what you are interested in hearing or learning about. Support your fellow women out there and listen to their hard work come alive! There is something out there for everyone on Spotify or the Podcast app.

Laura Scudder

George Mason University '22

Laura Scudder is a sophomore at George Mason University majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. Originally from Chelsea, Michigan, Laura moved to Virginia to attend school at GMU to earn an education and connect with those in the DC metropolitan area. She works for George Mason's student newspaper, Fourth Estate, as a copy editor and is the president of George Mason's Society of Professional Journalists. She is beyond excited to be a writer and social media editor for Her Campus George Mason.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com