This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Valentine’s Day is no longer about the love you share with your S.O. or long-term fling. Instead, it’s a time to celebrate the relationships that bring you joy. (And throw out the ones that don’t if you’re binging Marie Kondo this week).

This year, my mom is my Valentine. This is the first year since my parents separated that she’s flying solo for the big holiday and I can tell it’s getting her into a bit of a funk. When I was in fourth grade, I remember my dad taking the spare key to her car and filling it with balloons, presents and flowers while she was at work. She was a substitute teacher at my school and I will never forget the look on her face when she opened the car door at the end of the school day.

This year, mom and I are faced with the reality that my dad is probably doing that for someone else. And that’s okay, but I’m determined to make sure my mom feels that love and appreciation again because she truly deserves it (even on my college student budget).Via Giphy

My mother is one of the strongest people I have ever known and to openly face the reality she is on her own, yet choosing to thrive in the situation, brings me so much happiness. She has her own place and is working hard to start over, yet still manages to squeeze in daily phone calls with me and movie nights when I’m stressed (which is basically every day).Via Giphy

She doesn’t know it yet, but on Valentine’s Day morning I’m greeting her with copious amounts of candy, cards and love… because she deserves it.

Use this holiday, no matter how commercialized it has become, to love the strong women in your life. Whether it’s a grandparent, a best friend, a mentor, a sibling or your mom, choose to celebrate them and let them know how valuable they are in your life. Strong women make the world go round, collegiettes.

Via Giphy

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com