This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

With 91% of leadership in this country being white, 65% of them being white men, it has been made evident by this nation’s history and systemic silencing of voices who fall outside of the white male majority, that those in power will not advocate for us but rather themselves. As a white woman, I feel it is important for me to acknowledge the way this system has benefited me. The way my whiteness has allowed me to often be heard within spheres that my female minority counterparts continue to be ignored. Take account of where you have failed and where you benefit. Your part in the fight for equality must be intersectional. With the upcoming election, our advocacy must encompass all whose rights will be lessened and further stifled if this administration is elected for a second term. Here are five ways to utilize your voice.

1. Vote

Voting is not an instant solution, however, I like to think of it as sanitizing and preparing a wound to heal. We need to elect an administration that will make a conscious effort to heal the wounds of our nation. Casting your vote impacts the lives of generations to come and people who are not afforded the privilege of voting, do so wisely and compassionately. Here is a link to voting deadlines and information in Virginia. 

2. Know when to take a backseat

Listening is often just as important as speaking up. Passion is important, however, you want to make sure you are centering people in the conversation who have lived experience with the issue being discussed. 

3. Know there is always more to learn

Listening and learning go hand in hand. Simply knowing acknowledging an issue’s presence in society is no longer, nor has it ever been, enough. Her Campus George Mason staff writer Nautia Smalls has created a phenomenal resource to educate yourself on social issues

Related Article: A Beginner’s Guide to Voting During a Pandemic

4. Keep your political decision making inclusive and objective

Just because you wouldn’t make a choice yourself does not mean a person whose rights are impacted by your vote wouldn’t either. Protecting individual choice is essential. Issues such as abortion, birth control, and health care coverage are on the line with this upcoming election. I encourage you to act not from a position of “I would never so I fight against it,” but rather, “I would never but I respect other people’s right to bodily autonomy”. 

5. When corrected, do better

At the beginning of the summer, it was brought to my attention by a close friend that I was engaging in performative activism. While this was not the intention it was the impact. Deliberate within yourself about the possible impact of what you choose to share. Are you helping? Are you causing harm? Who are you doing this for? When someone raises a concern do not take it personally, but instead, be grateful that someone is taking the time to educate you. 

Listen, learn and raise your voice collegiette!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com