body images 2020 01 28 olia nayda nAXi4iQ74cA unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 28 olia nayda nAXi4iQ74cA unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top Roller Coasters at 6 Popular Amusement Parks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Now that spring break is over, it’s hard not to daydream about how amazing summer vacation will be. Deciding where you should go, who you should bring and what you should do may be among some of the questions you have been asking yourself. If you’re up for some thrills, consider these amazing adrenaline-inducing coasters for your next vacation!

1. Top Thrill Dragster – Cedar Point, Ohio

With this ride, what you see is what you get. The Top Thrill Dragster launches you straight up and right back down, only lasting for a mere 17 seconds. Standing at a towering 420 feet, it is the second tallest rollercoaster in the world. It goes from 0 to 120 mph in 3.8 seconds. The ride also includes a nice little corkscrew as you plummet back down to the earth.

Fun fact: If the launch at the beginning doesn’t get enough acceleration, the vehicle won’t make it to the top and will roll back down to the starting point. Sounds fun, right?!

2. Expedition Everest – Walt Disney World, Florida

Walt Disney World may not be known for its roller coasters, but Expedition Everest is not for the faint of heart. It climbs up 199 feet into the sky and reaches a max speed of 50 mph. (The Matterhorn Bobsleds is a similar ride if you’re in Disneyland).

Fun Fact: Standing at 25 feet tall, the animatronic Yeti used inside the ride hasn’t been fully functioning since 2006. This is because the original movements caused too much structural damage to the Yeti’s frame.

3. Indiana Jones Adventure – Disneyland, California

Indiana Jones Adventure was by far my favorite ride at Disneyland. It’s not necessarily a traditional rollercoaster, but it is definitely a thrilling ride. The vehicle shakes and moves the whole ride and even interacts with other vehicles. (Dinosaur is a similar ride at Walt Disney World).

Fun Fact: The course of this ride changes each time you get on!

4. The Incredible Hulk Coaster – Universal Studios, Florida

The Incredible Hulk Coaster is a thrilling roller coaster in the best sense possible. It starts with a launch, reaches speeds of up to 67 mph, soars at 110 feet and goes through 7 loops.

Fun Fact: The statue of Hulk outside the ride is holding up real pieces of the old track.

5. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey – Universal Studios, Hollywood

This ride, located inside of Hogwarts, is unlike any other. It’s not a traditional roller coaster, but you do not want to miss it. The ride goes through different events, including 3D videos, motion simulators and some scarily up-close interactions with spiders.

Fun fact: The vehicle is connected to an arm that allows for 360-degree movement (including going almost upside-down).

6. Volcano – Kings Dominion, Virginia

Last on my list is the Volcano, that lives right here in Virginia. I’ve ridden this countless times and the launch at the beginning gets me every single time. The ride reaches heights of 155 feet and has a lot of corkscrews.

Fun fact: The volcano shoots real fire when riders launch out the top.

Be warned, collegiettes, some of these are not for the faint of heart. But if you’re an adrenaline-junkie like me, planning some Summer trips to ride these coasters might do you some good!

Sarah Larios

George Mason University '21

Sarah is a Senior at George Mason University where she is majoring in Global Affairs with a concentration in Media, Communication, & Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at George Mason, previously serving as the Senior Editor and Marketing & Publicity Director. When she’s not editing articles, she can be found working as a Communications Intern, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, playing with makeup, or spending time with her husband.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com