This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I like to consider myself a consciously-organized individual. If I don’t organize my life, whether it’s in terms of writing down dates or keeping my room clean, I am far more likely to forget my obligations and misplace my belongings. That being said, I think it’s all the more important to be organized at the beginning and throughout a new semester. Here are some tips to not only become organized but stay that way. 

1. Google calendar and a planner are your best friends

I think that if my planner and I were ever separated I would not be able to go on. My planner is my lifeline, it holds any and everything my scatterbrained self might forget for reference at a later date. That being said, I have a specific process of how I lay my planner out. I color-code each of my classes on the monthly spread and those colors are the same in my Google calendar for those classes. At the beginning of the semester, I take all of my syllabi and input each course’s due dates into my planner with a specific color for each, and from there I transfer dates into my Google calendar. This is useful because not only do you have a reminder both on paper and in your phone, but I find having a specific color associated with each course helps me to better divide my workload. 

Via Giphy

2. Set a day to do laundry, clean, etc.

Rather than gambling that you will have time to complete certain chores and obligations unrelated to school, it may be more beneficial to set aside a day on which you complete these tasks. For me, that day is Friday because I don’t have any classes or time commitments. This will help you feel more at ease on other days throughout the week and provide structure to completing chores, like laundry and having a clean space, that are a form of self-care. 

Via Giphy

3. Time blocking

Blocking off certain points in time to complete tasks has been proven to increase productivity. I have found this extremely helpful because time blocking can make a looming paper deadline feel slightly less daunting. Separating tasks into sections helps to keep the procrastination we all struggle with at bay. 

Via Giphy

4. Wake up around the same time every day

I have found that waking up at a consistent time every day has benefited my overall ability to keep up in life. It’s difficult to keep organized if you are waking up at 12pm one day and 6am the other. I think the main factor in staying and feeling organized is consistency. However, if you feel you need rest, rest. 

Via Giphy

5. Recognize the difference between accountability and self-sabotage

Everyone has off days. So, if you don’t complete all the tasks in your planner or don’t feel like doing your laundry, that is ok. There is a distinct difference between recognizing you had an off day and trying to do better opposed to giving up on your routine because you feel as though you can’t succeed. Organizing your life and keeping it that way takes adjustments and time, it’s not instantaneous!

Via Giphy

Stay organized this semester, collegiettes!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com