nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is a Game-Changer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Whenever I tell people how much I love Marvel movies I typically get the same response:

“There are just too many superhero movies out these days, they’re getting too predictable.”

If you’re someone who feels that way, trust me, “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” will absolutely not disappoint.

The Spider-Man movies, specifically the films that document the origins of Peter Parker, have been done so many times over the years that they all tell the same story over and over again. This movie makes the story much more interesting and exciting, as well as adding in some new stories to the mix. The scenes are action-packed, emotional and humorous (I would like to personally thank whoever decided to include Spider-Ham).

The scenes are made to look like they are straight out of a comic book, helping to step out of the typical scenes we are used to with live-action superhero movies. Explosions of light and color keep the viewer’s eyes glued to the screen.

Via Giphy

The movie is also centered around Miles Morales, a half-black, half Puerto-Rican teenager from Brooklyn, which in itself makes the movie a huge game-changer as people of color, aside from “Black Panther” and a handful of others, are never typically seen in superhero movies. While Peter Parker is a huge part of the movie, he is not the main focus. We also get to see two badass Spider-Women in the film. Gwen Stacy, a badass teenager who not only fights crime but also plays the drums in a band, and Peni Parker, an adorable yet powerful anime-inspired character who controls a giant robot, are front and center in the action.

Via Giphy

Without giving anything away, the story follows Miles, a teenager struggling to fit in at his new school and dealing with other typical teenage issues when his life is turned upside down after he’s bit by a radioactive spider. Meanwhile, crime boss “Kingpin” has been working on a nuclear supercollider in an attempt to bring his wife and son back from the dead. However, the collider ends up opening up portals into other universes and bringing several “spider-people” into Miles’ universe. Miles has to learn how to use his newly found powers in order to help the others get back to their own universes and defeat Kingpin.

Along with being a superhero film, the movie deals with a variety of topics from family and heartbreak to coping with coming of age. It is arguably the best Spider-Man movie to date (sorry Tom Holland, I still love you) and one of the best animated films of the year.

P.S.: Make sure to stick around for the post-credit scene, it is absolute ~*gold*~. (If you know, you know.)

Via Giphy

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com